CYA Level - Lot's of Sun

Jun 12, 2017
Plano, Texas
Moderator comment: This post was separated out from this thread: CYA Level...

We often recommend 60 or so in areas of extremely strong sunlight - Florida, the south, AZ, NV, etc.

You can start at 30-40, and if you decide based on your testing that you're losing too much chlorine to the sun each day, you can always raise it a little more.

How much is "too much"?

I did an OCLT last night. Zero drop in FC over 8 hours. CC is 0.5 or less (the sample turns the faintest shade of pink and that could be debated) one drop knocks it crystal clear.

So, here are my test results last night, repeated exact at 6:30 a.m. this morning: FC=4.5, CC=0.5; PH=7.5; TA=100; CA=350; CYA=30.

Okay on that last, I have tried three or four times, the results vary between just below but close to the 30 line and half-way between 30 and 40 but closer to 30. It depends on the angle and height I hold the tube.

Back to the point of my question - CYA. At 6:30 this morning, 4.5 on the Chlorine and at 1:30 this afternoon it is down to 2.0. I am in north Texas (Dallas area) and my pool get a lot of direct overhead sun with zero shade. Basically, the house faces slightly south of east so by 9:30 a.m. the sun is directly pointed at at least 75% of my pool. By 10:30 until sun down, all sun. If my past results are any indication, my chlorine will be less almost but not quite zero by 6:30 this evening (lets call that a 0.5 FC). If it make any difference, my pool is shallow at 5' 4" in the center, 3' 2" on the ends (bedrock is good for house foundations, bad for pool diggers) and the pool warms up really easily when the clouds make no appearance.

Do I need to run my CYA up more, or is this pretty "typical"? Should I simply run FC up to 6 at night instead of 4.5? Will starting with higher FC actually matter or will the burn off remain the same until I change CYA concentration?

Yes, it will all burn off. Loss of 4-5 in your conditons is common. You should try increasing Cya to 40-50 and see if it helps. Some run higher, but your conditions are harsh. Just experiment with Cya increases and reaching a good balance between that and your daily loss. Most just have to accept they will lose 4-5 PPM FC per day.

Thanks Patrick:

I guess I need to start keeping a journal - for future reference - and now that I know my typical CYA use, up the CYA about 10PPM and see if anything changes.

I was intentionally keeping CYA at the minimum recommended level for two reasons: prior experience with tri-chlor tabs has caused me to drain the pool every couple years; and I wanted the latitude to use tri-chlor if I am going out of town for a day or two without chaining my CYA too much.

My CYA is 80 and my daily FC consumption is about 1.7ppm per day in June, plus a little extra bleach on big swim weekends. I needed to check runtime and SWG production the other day and this handy tidbit of info was a result.

My pool is full Las Vegas sun from about 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., I keep my CYA at 70-80 (FC at 5) and it works well for me. I'm running my SWG at 75% right now for on average 7 hours a day. Rarely do I add any bleach. Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.