CYA Disaster?

It doesn't help that the black dot in my kit is so much smaller than in the reference photos. I tried at all different angles and by 60ppm the dot is completely invisible no matter the amount of ambient light.

I'm sure there isn't that level in the pool but the colorimeter at the pool store, their Taylor kit with the big dot, and my Taylor test all have repeatedly shown 60.

I ordered the pentair tester since it looks a little easier to read to me.

I upped my FC to 9 just in case my cya really is 60

Exactly how much CYA did you put in the pool? Also the estimated volume of your pool according to your signature is a little high. A 9'x18'x52" pool would have a max volume of 4700 gallons. Most pools are filled to within 6" of the top rail of the pool, making the best estimate of pool volume around 4300 gallons. That may account for some of the discrepencies targeted and actual CYA levels.

Exactly how much CYA did you put in the pool? Also the estimated volume of your pool according to your signature is a little high. A 9'x18'x52" pool would have a max volume of 4700 gallons. Most pools are filled to within 6" of the top rail of the pool, making the best estimate of pool volume around 4300 gallons. That may account for some of the discrepencies targeted and actual CYA levels.

24 ounces. Should still top out around 40.

Good call on the volume. More like 3780 from my measurements this morning.

I added two cups of 12.5% bleach and my FC went from 6 to at least 20 (didn't want to waste reagent) so I took some measurements.

Even at the new lower volume my FC shouldn't have gone nearly that high; but all the same it definitely explains some things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.