CYA and Chlorine - Cost efficiency

Jul 5, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
If I use/aim/have a lower CYA level (as suggested at 30-50), I've understood that means I technically need less to chlorinate the pool. But, that does not necessarily speak to the loss per day. Would lower CYA levels result in more frequent additions of liquid chlorine?

Is there any relationship between CYA levels, chlorine loss per day, and the frequency of adding chlorine? (assuming no algae, SLAM test completed and balanced pool).

Could a CYA of 30 and a CYA of 60, let's say, use the same amount of chlorine over time?

Texas pool with about 60% full sun coverage.

Amazon Smile subscribed. :)

It's an interesting question. Here is my best response. It depends. :)

You have most of it right, you just need to think of all the parts at once.

If you have a lower CYA, you need a lower FC, which means your bulk chlorine is lower, but you trade that off with a greater daily loss, so you need to add a larger amount on a daily basis.
If you have a higher CYA, you need a higher FC, which means your bulk chlorine is higher, but you trade that off with lower daily loss, so you would need to add a smaller amount on a daily basis.

I don't know for sure, but it feels like with a higher CYA the overall chlorine use would be lower over time.

Also, you have to keep in mind the SLAM level, Hopefully you never have to SLAM the pool, but if you do, it takes much more chlorine if the CYA is higher.

Lower CYA will use more FC per day than higher CYA every time. You will use less FC per day at 60 than you will at 40. I used an average of 1.7 ppm FC per day in June with CYA at 80. I don't normally keep track of that but I had a reason to calculate that in June.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.