CYA and bleach protection revisited?

Well, I have to offer my 2 cents....my screenname is a result of having high CYA and not knowing anything and listening to pool stealers. Now that I found this site and finally "get it". Having followed BBB for almost 2 months now, with ZERO problems....including being gone on vacation for 11 days and coming home to crystal water....

My CYA has been very high last tested near 80 and ran out of solution..... once I figured out the right level to keep the FC I've been good to go, I probably add between 4-8 cups of bleach every other day, and have been able to go 3 days even. Weathers been up and down but I have not had to add bleach every day even with rain. I can only attribute that to running the filter on low 24-7 and having high CYA. But what do I know, other than I am no longer frustrated :)

Thought I should update. For the past week or so, I've been adding bleach only every other day. It's working perfect, water is staying clear, FC is at the "goal" the night I add and just above "minimum" the night before I add.

So far so good :)

I'll probably switch to adding 1/2 the normal amount buy do so every night. I don't mind going out to the pool to add and check on things, and this should keep me away from dipping below the "minimum" level.

Something else interesting about this CYA protection theory is that it predicts that CYA would also help protect bromine from destruction from the UV rays of the sun, though not nearly as much as it protects chlorine since the bromine does not attach to the CYA to form new compounds -- instead, the protection of bromine comes solely and only from the direct CYA shielding (absorption/extinction) effect. This is something else that runs counter to industry convention or understanding.

So maybe this is a way to measure that effect separately. I want to complete the model that I have so I can make some new graphs, but even with Mark's excellent experiments, I only have a limited number of data points and too many variable parameters. The two experiments that are still needed is one that uses a very shallow amount of water to measure the "chlorine attached to CYA" degradation separate from the CYA shielding effect. And now we have the use of bromine as a way to measure the shielding effect by itself. With those two pieces, I can calculate the true half-life of the chlorinated isocyanurates (the chlorine attached to CYA) and the true shielding/extinction coefficient for CYA.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.