Cutting pvc with miter saw?

CUTiger78 said:
kyle11 said:
Just looking for the best/fastest way to cut pvc that will give me the straightest burrless cut.
Aaah, I got it. Didn't mean to sound offensive and I see that others have responded with the details you were looking for.

Please don't let my reply be off-putting as there are lots of folks here on TFP willing to share their valuable experience.

Cheers!

No problem, your response didn't seem offensive to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be a bit late with this post but since we cut some PVC conduit today I thought I would snap a couple of pics just to show you it is possible, and it has been done, smiles.

The whole process took maybe 4 mins if you include measuring, and wiping it down after making the cut, and deburring.

Here you can see the mark.
0801121451-O.jpg

Just after the cut, you can see the small burrs.
0801121451a-O.jpg

All deburred and cleaned up, ready to use.
0801121454-O.jpg

The blade in that saw is pretty course, but it works like a top, just spin it up to speed, and make sure you have a firm grip on the piece you are cutting, then make a nice smooth cut, don't try to force it.

Oh forgot to mention, we deburred by pulling an razor knife backwards around the edges, the burrs just peel off.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :cheers:

Thanks for the pics! I ordered a 60 tooth freud blade today. After researching it seems that blade would work best. I know most said any blade would work but I need a new one anyways. Also ordered this Bosch quick miter saw clamp that should speed stuff up as my current miter saw clamp is a pain to loosen and reset. Thanks for all the info!

Thanks for your replies. What about putting the blade on backwards? I have read it makes the cuts smoother and some places say it is dangerous and can put to much stress on the blade.

Have not done this with pipe, but I used to do residential vinyl siding, and we always put the blade (regular 7-1/4 circular saw on a two-rail jig) in backwards. While the cuts were clean, the blade dulled quickly and didn't cut very well when we turned it back around to cut wood. If you are going to do this, I'd sacrifice an old blade rather than ruining a good one.

I've had a mitre saw or drop saw kind of explode when cutting PVC pipe and stick with my old manual mitre saw.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.