foxbody

Jun 3, 2021
Beverly, MA
Could someone tell me why my CSI is constantly testing out of range, all year long? This is the one variable I don't understand how to balance even after reading other posts. I know it's something about scaling but unsure beyond that.

My most recent full test results:
7.4 ph
30 cya
4.0 FC
0.0 CC
70 TA
75 degrees F - Temp
-0.94 CSI

Thanks!

(edited to include my test results)

I am not a fan of CSI (calcium saturation Index).

If you keep your CH, pH, TA, CYA and FC All within the parameters that TFP suggests (and you have), the chances of you having Calcium Scale are EXTREMELY remote!

With a vinyl pool, the CSI is not something you need to worry too much about, particularly with your low calcium levels. Vinyl pools are much more resistant to problems caused by off-balance water, such as scaling or corrosive effects, compared to plaster pools.

From the test results you've provided, your levels seem to be within acceptable ranges for a vinyl pool, and the negative CSI is not a cause for concern. I'm curious, is there a particular issue or symptom that's making you worry about your CSI level?

Reactions: Mdragger88
With a vinyl pool, the CSI is not something you need to worry too much about, particularly with your low calcium levels. Vinyl pools are much more resistant to problems caused by off-balance water, such as scaling or corrosive effects, compared to plaster pools.

From the test results you've provided, your levels seem to be within acceptable ranges for a vinyl pool, and the negative CSI is not a cause for concern. I'm curious, is there a particular issue or symptom that's making you worry about your CSI level?
No conditions or symptoms. Just my pool math app with a ! In a big red circle 🔴 that made me wonder. Thanks for your help! Always the best pool resources here

Could someone tell me why my CSI is constantly testing out of range, all year long? This is the one variable I don't understand how to balance even after reading other posts. I know it's something about scaling but unsure beyond that.

My most recent full test results:
7.4 ph
30 cya
4.0 FC
0.0 CC
70 TA
75 degrees F - Temp
-0.94 CSI

Thanks!

(edited to include my test results)
The only issue would be if you had a pool heater and your water got too corrosive. But you would have to keep your PH under 7 for awhile to do that type of damage if your calcium hardness was lower than 100ppm. But That's why with a pool heater it's recommended that you keep your levels between 150-200 ppm calcium hardness.

You didn't include CH in the test results. That's the main determiner of CSI. As the experts are saying, low CSI is only a worry for a plaster pool where it can cause leaching of calcium from the surface. That reduces its life. Your tests look great afaics. Congratulations.

If ever curiously in doubt, just start entering some phantom readings up or down and watch how it affects outcome. If nothing else, gives you better understanding of major players with it.

That red circle with the exclamation mark can look alarming, but in your case, it's not a cause for concern. Since you're operating a vinyl pool with low calcium levels, CSI isn't a crucial factor to monitor.

You have the option to disable CSI tracking in your app settings if you wish. That will remove the red warning and likely will give you a bit more peace of mind.

Remember, the "Less than Ideal" message you're seeing is just the app's way of indicating that there's a bit of room for improvement. However, this is not a cause for concern or urgency. Based on your current levels, your pool chemistry looks great. There's just a small opportunity to perfect the chemistry if you're aiming for that optimal balance.

Keep up the good work, and feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.