Crystal clear green water

Jul 7, 2011
N. Ga Mountains
Ok, my water has been kept on SLAM level for 19 days now and is still bright green. We can see the bottom of the pool but it is green . On my other post it was mentioned by chem geek that it could be iron in the water. I had actually had the water tested at the pool store and asked specifically to test for iron and copper. The lady ran a test, did a printout but it didn't show anywhere on the test printout so I asked if there were metals. she said oh...no metals, it just didn't print. I am now thinking maybe she didn't test it at all? Also when I uncovered the pool this year it was very dark green, on clearing I found a large orange colored rock in the middle of the pool ( thinking grandchildren threw it in) could that have added metals to the water? We have never before had metals but the pool is clear green.

OK...pool store said 0 phosphates, 0 nitrates, 0 iron, 0 copper...

my test results are FC 33, cc 0
TA 40
PH 8.3+
CYA 25
Do I just keep slamming? I know I need to bring the FC down...I had raised it due to lack of results...my bad...What do I do now?

If the water is a completely clear transparent green and you have passed the overnight FC loss test, then stop SLAMing.

The next time FC is below 10, test and adjust the PH down to around 7.2 to 7.5.

FC levels will come down fairly quickly on their own. By tomorrow FC should be below 10, and the next day it will probably be back to normal levels.

Will the water lose the green by getting the ph down? It's still bright green today...I still need to add salt (312 lbs) before turning on the SWG. If I have to drain the pool I don't want to waste the salt. Someone is coming over today to dump the salt in for me but I am worried about bright green water. It's like a pool full of Palmolive. Please advise...I am lost here

The color means you have metals in the water. You can replace the water with metal free water, if any is available, and that will save you money in the long run. Or you can use sequestrant. I suspect that there are metals in your fill water, and you have no choice but use sequestrant, but that is just a guess and not for sure.

The combination of lower FC level, lower PH, and sequestrant will get rid of the green for sure. However, you will probably need to keep replenishing the sequestrant for the rest of the season.

BTW, sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So do I need one specifically for salt water pools? Also specifically for vinyl liners? If my municipal pool water has metals wouldn't everyone here have the problem or does bleach add metals? I haven't added anything else to my water except tons of elbow grease, that is.

What is "municipal pool water"? Did you fill the pool with the same water that runs through your house? If so, check your toilet tank. If it's all orange in there your water has iron in it. Most municipal water supplies don't have iron, though. Bleach doesn't add any metal.

Yes it is the same water as the house from the city. No orange ever in the toilets. I have no clue where I could get metals from when we have had the pool 4, yrs with no metals. If it isn't metal will the sequestriant hurt anything?
No. No different than spraying Lysol on a surface already free of germs.

Bright green usually means copper... is there any chance someone could have tried killing algae with copper sulfate? No empty jugs of this stuff for ponds laying around?

$T2eC16h,!w0E9szN,9ZGBR0DOTJoFg~~60_35.JPG

The color is quite similar to this, isn't it?
pond21.jpg

Ok the algae remover was put in the water by a well meaning daughter in law... I went to take it back to walmart and it was gone. So I just went and bought metal stain and scale out at Home Depot. It says the chlorine has to be below 3 so I can't use it yet. The water should be beautiful if it works since it's really pretty now if it weren't green. I feel very relieved to know that the product was added even though I could gladly strangle her for doing it. She was pressure washing the house and figured shed just do that for me.. I did read the label at Walmart and the first ingredient listed is copper 3.3 percent. So now we know the rest of the story! Since the water test showed no metals can I safely assume it won't take too much to clear it out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.