Oregon
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
We have a salt water pool and are in our third year of ownership. We just opened the pool for the summer months and I have things pretty well under control I think. I test PH daily and this year I find that the color in the comparator creeps darker - higher ph - as the water sits in the vial. For example, this morning upon adding 5 drops of R0004 and inverting the comparator to mix, the reading was 7.4, but within a few seconds it read 7.6, and in less than a minute was around 8. I received my new replacement vials from TFtestkits.net last week so my reagents are fresh.
So the question is, what am I doing to cause this? Is it normal? If it is normal (and I just haven’t noticed it before) when would the most accurate reading be?
A further piece of information: about a week after opening the free chlorine was about 17.6. I left the cover off for a couple of days and fc is now just above 7.
I apologize if this has been discussed previously. I did a search and didn’t come across anything

It's not uncommon for reagents to change color shortly after sitting still. Best to perform the test, record the result, and move on.

As for the FC, much depends on your current CYA and also ensuring you have no organic activity consuming the FC. When you opened this season, did you perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

It's not uncommon for reagents to change color shortly after sitting still. Best to perform the test, record the result, and move on.

As for the FC, much depends on your current CYA and also ensuring you have no organic activity consuming the FC. When you opened this season, did you perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?
Thank you. Good information

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.