Silver Supporter
Dec 20, 2015
Arnold md.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was helping someone today that is new to pools and bought a house with a pool that was not well taken care of. It’s about 25-30k gallon vinyl inground. Took cover off for first time today and the algae was overwhelming and was clumping one the bottom. My question is, when I tested the water the ph was beyond low like super yellow and TA was beyond high, I stopped counting it was so high. FC was 0 as well. I did notice the pool light had water in it and the surround of the light was metal with rust around it. Why would those numbers be so crazy like that. Any ideS about the numbers?

I did not let it circulate much, I think with that rusty light and water there are other issues that probably need to be addressed first. He also had a lot of air in the main drain line when the skimmers were off. So there could be an issue there as well.

When the ta is red, the ta is 0 or negative.

To calculate the actual ta, use r-0006 base demand to titrate from red to green and then multiply the result by 6.3 to see how negative the ta is.

Reactions: vbertone
The negative TA is almost always due to the use of tabs and not checking the chemistry.

Most likely, the CYA is well beyond 100.

The pH is below 4.5

The low pH is causing the rust. It will usually cause the liner to wrinkle pretty extensively.

Did you check the CYA?

The negative TA is almost always due to the use of tabs and not checking the chemistry.

Most likely, the CYA is well beyond 100.

The pH is below 4.5

The low pH is causing the rust. It will usually cause the liner to wrinkle pretty extensively.

Did you check the CYA?
Yep the liner was wrinkling and I did not test cya. Should have. He had a lot of vacuuming to do first so I will let him know about the cya. He was ordering his test kit today as well.

Probably going to have to replace the liner soon.

Assuming that the cyanuric acid is probably sky high, the water will need to be diluted pretty extensively.

Maybe a good time to replace the liner and start fresh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Probably going to have to replace the liner soon.

Assuming that the cyanuric acid is probably sky high, the water will need to be diluted pretty extensively.

Maybe a good time to replace the liner and start fresh.
Yeah he is going to drain half way anyway and fix the light first. We shall see what happens after that. He’s got other problems for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.