Cracks in newly poured plaster- gunnite pool

May 24, 2017
Union, KY
Plaster poured yesterday. Said needed more time so they came back to keep working on it today and today started filling up with water. I’m seeing a ton of hairline cracks all over. They builders say it’s hairline and superficial and “you won’t see them once the pool is filled” (although I doubt that for the pool deck). Is this acceptable?

C93C7044-8D04-4CD8-A823-182B12C85220.jpegED31F8A5-E2C4-49F1-8495-BCDAF0FD3E7B.jpegB5208DC1-F407-419B-9C9C-87B75A88A049.jpeg31A063E7-3ECB-4D29-B5FC-15DEBAD43B22.jpeg

Plaster poured yesterday. Said needed more time so they came back to keep working on it today and today started filling up with water. I’m seeing a ton of hairline cracks all over. They builders say it’s hairline and superficial and “you won’t see them once the pool is filled” (although I doubt that for the pool deck). Is this acceptable?

View attachment 535238View attachment 535239View attachment 535240View attachment 535241
What did they stop doing yesterday and restart today? Generally the plaster has to be down and trowled all in one shot. If they came back for an acid wash the next day that’s probably common (did that for mine).

Usually hairline cracks shouldn’t flow across surfaces over long distances like that. Would need some builders to comment on that.

That looks concerning to me.
Yes, hair line cracks are common in most plaster finishes and are more visible in specific types of color mixes.
Typically they are smaller in size and without a pattern. Those have a longer run than I’m used to seeing and in the first picture it seems to be fallowing in a specific direction.
Exposed aggregate finishes hide hairline cracks very well, solid color finishes not as well.
Give this time to hydrate once completely filled with water and re examine to see if any changes occur.
The comment regarding once filled they will disappear may not be the case in regards to the top step and it’s shallow water depth.

Reactions: HermanTX
Any pictures of the shell before plaster? The small random cracks are skrinkage and not a worry. The long ones I would bet are structural and visible in the shell before the plaster was applied.

The surface itself...did they come back and try to expose with a pressure washer? You can see the pattern where they pressure washed with a fan tip and the unevenness in exposure.

Personally I would hold whatever payment is outstanding until the pool was full and looked good. I think that will take, at a minimum, making the surface more uniform in exposure.

The 'It will look good once it is full and I am paid and also I am sitting in my house ignoring your calls' line usually doesn't carry much weight. You want it to be right while you still have some leverage.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.