Downingtown Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
My install keeps getting more and more worrisome. First a possible leak, next a wall bowed outward and now a crack. I noticed this white strip near the bottom of a ledge in our shallow end from the surface. Too cold to get in the water to check it out. Looked like a glob of caulk or silicone that spilled during install. Finally got in the water yesterday and it’s a crack. Looks more like a gouge. Don’t think it’s deep enough to leak but I’m no expert. This whole pool process has been a huge headache. Now I have to try to get involved with Latham warranty claims and my installer. Hopefully one of them will come though and make this right. AA3FB9F0-A48C-473F-A7EC-3E0BA3783EC7.jpeg5D544DF6-9600-465F-829C-3BA866D930D0.jpeg

Is your pool level? If it's not, that could be a good reason why it cracked once it filled. These fiberglass pools need to be set level because they can move with water weight (one gallon of water weighs 8lbs!) causing the pool to crack. I would check the level of the shell around the top of the pool and if it's off then it will need reset. Don't let your builder blame the manufacturer. This is their fault. If you think you're losing water, check your sump tube and see if it's full of water and do a bucket test. Fill the bucket with water to your pool water's level and set it on your step. Turn your pump off n check it in 24hrs. If the pool level is lower than the bucket water level, you have a leak.

We did measure from each corner to the water line (we have a rectangular Latham pool) and three of the four corners are the same. One corner is about 1” higher than the others. This is also the corner nearest the crack.

If the crack was caused by improper install I’m afraid my pool builder will not take ownership. They have not been helpful with other concerns I’ve had.

I’m going to start a warranty claim and see if I can get a Latham rep to come out and look.

Reactions: Casey
We did measure from each corner to the water line (we have a rectangular Latham pool) and three of the four corners are the same. One corner is about 1” higher than the others. This is also the corner nearest the crack.

If the crack was caused by improper install I’m afraid my pool builder will not take ownership. They have not been helpful with other concerns I’ve had.

I’m going to start a warranty claim and see if I can get a Latham rep to come out and look.
That one inch could be enough to torque the pool for it to crack. Hopefully you can get them out there to look at it. You don't have concrete yet do you? If not, dont allow them to pour it until the manufacturer can look at it. The PB is responsible for the crack IMHO.

No concrete yet but it's scheduled beginning of June with a different company recommended by pool builder. I will definitely not allow for concrete to be poured until all of this gets resolved. I did speak to pool builder and they have their installers coming out today to look at a bowed wall and correct it so that's good. They also said they are contacting Latham for me and will have someone out to patch the crack. Will have to wait and see...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.