Could it be black algae?

DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
I'm not sure if this is black algae or not. Can you walk me through how to tell? Last year I did a poor job of keeping our chlorine levels where they needed to be. I just finished the opening process of fully testing my water, increasing calcium, CYA, lowering pH and getting chlorine up. The water looks great. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180521_185805.jpg
    20180521_185805.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20180521_185720.jpg
    20180521_185720.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20180521_185705.jpg
    20180521_185705.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 41
Just enough to cover the spot, you won't see results immediatly but if is black algae it will remove it, Once Black algae gets established it is real hard to remove by normal chlorination. It has a protective cover and it will root into the surface

Just enough to cover the spot, you won't see results immediatly but if is black algae it will remove it, Once Black algae gets established it is real hard to remove by normal chlorination. It has a protective cover and it will root into the surface

Thank you so much. So I should rub it on and leave it be to work on the algae? Is this the best treatment method to get rid of it altogether? We're thinking that sounds tough as there are spots deeper in the pool I think. The other concern I have is my calcium was really low. We normally cover the pool in the winter but didn't this year and I didn't keep calcium where it needed to be. I'm kicking myself. But I'm wondering is it possible that these black spots may be from the calcium being too low for too long, or would that have a different appearance and really most likely this is black algae? Also is it safe to swim if there's black algae? Thank you for the help with my questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.