Cottonwoods already?!?

LoneWolfArcher

Bronze Supporter
May 29, 2019
Michigan
Opened pool today. Slamming and already have a clearing pool.

But the cottonwoods are already seeding. I don't remember ever having them start this early before! They were covering the water when I pulled the cover. Already went thru a skimmer sock.

Anyway, CYA at 50. FC over 20. Filter running 24/7.

Welcome BACK LoneWolf !!!

Spring sprung early this year and has gifted many with green openings. I already had to bump my CYA to SWG levels due to excessive daily loss.

Hit it hard and often. (y)

Usually, I open the pool middish May, and within a few days the pool is clear. Minimum skimmer cleanout required, etc.

This year is different. I noticed over the weekend that the cottonwoods were in full seeding. Removing the cover I found the entire surface of the water covered in cottonwood seeds. GRRRR

So, lots and lots of skimming, barely making a dent. Then the skimmer sock plugged up. Ok.

Woke up this morning to another sock plugged. Pressure in filter up 10 points. First time I've ever had to rinse the filter cartridge this early.

The good news is that I can almost already see the bottom of the pool. The efforts are working. But what a pain.

DEATH TO COTTONWOODS!

You got this. Post up progress reports and we'll help you pass the time in the pool owner patience stage.

My wife was swearing yesterday - the cottonwood was hitting the pool faster than she and her little net could scoop them out.

That said, skimming the pool is her 'happy time' - so more skimming = happier wife...right ?

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support