Coping Color Option

Glad it worked out for you!

If you can, please post pictures of your coping with decking once complete. I'm really interested in seeing how it turns out. We're still waiting on HOA approval so have plenty of time to change selections and finishes if necessary.

Thanks!
Of course! I am hoping we can move along quickly in the next couple of weeks. Not sure if water will be in the pool, but would like to see the grout, decking, and plaster completed within that two weeks.

Good Morning TFP! Just wanted to provide an update since my last post in February. We had many setbacks and most were either weather related or parts were on backorder. We still have a few punch list items for the PB to complete and we still need to finish with some landscaping around the pool. Other than that we are pretty much complete. It seems many pool builders are extremely busy this summer and communication to close out my pool lacks a bit. We were never really informed on how to maintain the chemicals in our pool so I have had to return to TFP to educate myself. Without being able to reference pool school and other forums on this site, I would have had to make my way to local pool store and I really didn't want to do that. So this site has definitely helped me out a lot. Thanks everyone for your input and feedback. We are pleased with the final product!

Attachments

• 64186742059__EC09C832-5C4B-45F6-A93C-34ED71DB76AC.fullsizerender.jpg
    64186742059__EC09C832-5C4B-45F6-A93C-34ED71DB76AC.fullsizerender.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 64186748435__988F65FB-C0C3-4382-B727-E85629ED8699.jpg
    64186748435__988F65FB-C0C3-4382-B727-E85629ED8699.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 64186761603__5F66C0DE-AED2-442B-BCBF-221358DA3F3F.fullsizerender.jpg
    64186761603__5F66C0DE-AED2-442B-BCBF-221358DA3F3F.fullsizerender.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    637 KB · Views: 46
It would seem most efficient to intercept the tile as early in the process as possible. The problem with that is the nature of color. What might look like one thing in a tile showroom or warehouse, can look like something else somewhere else. The only way to determine how it will look in your yard is to have it in your yard. The perception of color is influenced by its environment. Sun, shadows, wet, dry you've mentioned. But the color of surrounding elements plays a huge part, too. Your perception of the color of coping and tile and brick all affect each other, of course. But so do other things in your line of sight. The color of your house, the water, the sky, your fence, your plants, your furniture, all affect your perception of the colors of your pool's materials, along with everything else. For example, the colors of these pairs of inner rectangles are identical!

View attachment 171952

And that is not even considering (and is a different effect than) reflections! Adjacent colors affect your perception, but colors reflecting off of other colors does too! Two different things.

It's just the way are eyes and brains work. And not all eyes and brains work alike. That's why some folks, including some here, can honestly say it all looks fine, because to them it does. When to others, like me and you, it doesn't look quite right. There's nothing wrong with any of us, it's just the way we are... Like how some of us sound great when we sing, and others think they sound great when they sing! :ROFLMAO: Or like how the colors are making you crazy, and maybe your spouse is thinking you are crazy! ;)

So get the new coping in your yard. Take each piece out of the box. Lay it out around the pool and spa. Watch it for a day or two. Get it wet throughout the day. Decide to keep or reject it. Then proceed to mix'n'match and swap each piece around until the overall effect is pleasing. Then instruct the PB and his crew to honor exactly the layout you've established. They'll either roll their eyes, or appreciate that you've eliminated the possibility that you'll be displeased with the end result, because it'll be on you. Or both. Who cares. You'll never see each other again!

But a final warning, that folks like you and me have to deal with. The more particular we are, by choice or genetics, the harder we are to please. Be prepared that no matter how hard you try, it might not end up perfect. And it might just look that way at 4 in the afternoon. Or during a cloudy day. Or whatever. Or... it might just look amazing to you all the time!! That's the plan, anyway!
Dirk....don't know if you will ever see this but....omgoodness!!....I cannot believe this post. Colors have been making me absolutely insane!!! I have been trying to decide on pavers for an obscene amount of time and I was convinced that surroundings and reflections and colors bouncing off of surrounding etc....everything you said so eloquently... was having an impact and in some cases tricking my brain. It is making me crazy!! I'm positive I have some kind of color OCD but it is none the less refreshing to hear that there is some kind of factual base to this. Thank you for sharing this!!!!

Reactions: Dirk
Dirk....don't know if you will ever see this but....omgoodness!!....I cannot believe this post. Colors have been making me absolutely insane!!! I have been trying to decide on pavers for an obscene amount of time and I was convinced that surroundings and reflections and colors bouncing off of surrounding etc....everything you said so eloquently... was having an impact and in some cases tricking my brain. It is making me crazy!! I'm positive I have some kind of color OCD but it is none the less refreshing to hear that there is some kind of factual base to this. Thank you for sharing this!!!!
You're welcome. Glad you found it helpful.

PS. If you want to get someone's attention, either reply to their post, as you did with mine. That triggers an alert that let's me know someone did so. Or put an @ symbol in front of their member name, which also triggers an alert. Like:

Good luck with your project, @LaureenE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.