Cool Pool Deck

ride525

Gold Supporter
Jun 17, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'm about to replace much or likely all of my pool deck due to tree damages coming from two City trees. One was removed already.

But my question is, about the deck temperature. The existing surface (exposed aggregate is very uncomfortable, mostly because of how hot it gets. What are you thoughts for a cooler surface?

Thanks in advance

I'm about to replace much or likely all of my pool deck due to tree damages coming from two City trees. One was removed already.

But my question is, about the deck temperature. The existing surface (exposed aggregate is very uncomfortable, mostly because of how hot it gets. What are you thoughts for a cooler surface?

Thanks in advance
You can try kooldeck as it’s supposed to help moderate temperatures. There’s a bunch of coatings that claim to help, but that’s the only one that I’ve read seems to have consistent performance.

I have obsessed over this for the past 2 months. I originally was under the impression if you just pay up and get a natural stone like travertine or marble then you will have a cool surface regardless of any color choice you make. This however is NOT true. Color is really the dominant factor in this decision. Anything with greys in it absorb a lot of heat , even if a light grey and sandblasted. I’ve tried the “afyon cloud” sandblasted by marmiro and the blue ice by elegance. Both samples got near 120 on a 90 degree day, which is too hot for my feet. I’ve tried the silver travertines - these were actually worse as some silver samples are very dark.

The light beige colors are really the ones that stay within an acceptable temperature range. Crema winter by elegance is okay.
Eda marble by Marmiro is a little better
Kasha marble by marmio - by far the best! 105 degrees even on the 90 degree day. Barely feels warm to the foot and I think it also has the best texture for by a pool.

Hope this helps.

I've been able to walk barefoot on the concrete pavers during the heat--but I'm moving quickly around short distances. The travertine coping has been slightly better to stand barefoot on. Both are very light colors. With concrete pavers it's not slippery when wet without having an aggregate. The pavers were set on rocks and sand--not concrete.

We got samples of pavers during the winter so didn't really test for temp, but if you can get samples of your flooring now you can lay them out all day in the sun and test it.

Edit: We recently had the pavers sealed and they darkened a bit. Was worried they'd be slippery but so far they are not. I chose a matte sealer. But they are easier to hose down stains on and I walked barefoot on them yesterday and today with no issues.

Last edited:
We have wood, turf, and porcelin pavers in our yard. The wood and turf are scorching hot to walk on, the porcelin even this summer has been pleasantly warm at the most. We have Landmark 2x4 artic white in 3/4” thickness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.