St. Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
I'm considering converting to salt chlorination after a couple outbreaks due to my schedule being busy. My pool is going through a gallon of 10% a day. Overnight fc level test passed. My CYA is lower this year, maybe that's the reason. Anyway I like the idea of better feeling water when we swim anyway. I looked at a whole hayward system on amazon. My question is since I already have a Easytouch automation system can I just buy the cell part without the controller? Will the Easytouch panel control a Hayward SWG Cell? If it can I just didn't want to buy the whole system and install a redundant controller. If not, can I power the Hayward SWG and controller from the easytouch? panel? EASYTOUCH PSL4

What is the exact p/n of your panel? ET panels are sold with or without an IntelliChlor power supply as an option. If you have Pentair equipment, then it is easier to stick with the same brand for the SWG or else you'll wind up inevitably having to kludge something together.

Not sure what the p/n is. Here's a couple pictures. Second one shows a part number possibly.
8f9d8ba1c001b3ad2c914b7285a257b9.jpg
88001cc7486b6353604dc9d0dd230d97.jpg

Based on the top picture with the low-voltage breakers, there's nothing for the SWG so that particular ET panel was not spec'd to have a built-in intellichlor load center (power transformer). But, you can buy an external IntelliChlor power supply and hook it up to the ET panel. See the installation guide here -

http://www.pentairpoolme.com/uploads/document/file/540/Manual_IntelliChlor.pdf

You will want to wire it up so that the IC power supply is controlled with the main pump relay. This ensures that the SWG can never run without the pump running. You would then run a serial cable between the IC power supply and the ET panel serial communication plug so that the ET panel can send and receive information from the SWG cell. For your 20k gallon pool I would sincerely suggest you consider the IC-60 SWG cell. It is the largest cell Pentair makes and it will allow you to generate the most chlorine possible. This will allow your pool pump to run less (SWG's only produce chlorine when the pump is running) and the less you run the cell, the longer it lasts. Getting the largest SWG cell possible makes the most economic sense even though the upfront cost is higher.

If you buy everything online and do the installation all yourself (it's not really that hard) you'll save the cost of installation but your warranty will only be for 60-days. If you can find a PB or pool store to procure the units for you and do the installation on a professional basis, you'll get a 1-year warranty from Pentair. I can't really advise you on which way to go because ti all depends. Sometimes people get random cell failures 6 months down the line while most people never experience a failure. The risk you take in doing the install yourself is that if does fail 6 months down the line, you'll be left holding the bag for a new cell replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I would also suggest that you consider upgrading your pump to a 2-speed at the very minimum. Single speed pumps waste a huge amount of electricity as most pools can very easily operate on low speed and don't really need the full power rating that a single speed pump delivers. With an SWG, you have to run the pump in order to generate chlorine and so you could wind up easily running the pump for longer periods of time. With a 2-speed pump, as long as the flow rate is satisfied on low speed, it's a lot more cost effective to run the pump and generate chlorine on low speed. Obviously a variable speed pump would be the best option BUT few people want to pay for that kind of upfront cost.

Based on the top picture with the low-voltage breakers, there's nothing for the SWG so that particular ET panel was not spec'd to have a built-in intellichlor load center (power transformer). But, you can buy an external IntelliChlor power supply and hook it up to the ET panel. See the installation guide here -

http://www.pentairpoolme.com/uploads/document/file/540/Manual_IntelliChlor.pdf

You will want to wire it up so that the IC power supply is controlled with the main pump relay. This ensures that the SWG can never run without the pump running. You would then run a serial cable between the IC power supply and the ET panel serial communication plug so that the ET panel can send and receive information from the SWG cell. For your 20k gallon pool I would sincerely suggest you consider the IC-60 SWG cell. It is the largest cell Pentair makes and it will allow you to generate the most chlorine possible. This will allow your pool pump to run less (SWG's only produce chlorine when the pump is running) and the less you run the cell, the longer it lasts. Getting the largest SWG cell possible makes the most economic sense even though the upfront cost is higher.

If you buy everything online and do the installation all yourself (it's not really that hard) you'll save the cost of installation but your warranty will only be for 60-days. If you can find a PB or pool store to procure the units for you and do the installation on a professional basis, you'll get a 1-year warranty from Pentair. I can't really advise you on which way to go because ti all depends. Sometimes people get random cell failures 6 months down the line while most people never experience a failure. The risk you take in doing the install yourself is that if does fail 6 months down the line, you'll be left holding the bag for a new cell replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I would also suggest that you consider upgrading your pump to a 2-speed at the very minimum. Single speed pumps waste a huge amount of electricity as most pools can very easily operate on low speed and don't really need the full power rating that a single speed pump delivers. With an SWG, you have to run the pump in order to generate chlorine and so you could wind up easily running the pump for longer periods of time. With a 2-speed pump, as long as the flow rate is satisfied on low speed, it's a lot more cost effective to run the pump and generate chlorine on low speed. Obviously a variable speed pump would be the best option BUT few people want to pay for that kind of upfront cost.

Thanks for all the help. I'm really liking the reviews of the Hayward SWG system on here and amazon. Looks like that will still cost less getting the whole system. I will self install. Just installed a gas heater or replaced is a better word.

On the pumps.... I just bought that pump last year so I hate to replace it already.

The Hayward system is fine. Just realize that it will not communicate at all with the ET panel and so the only thing the ET panel will provide is power by ensuring that the Hayward power supply is hooked up to the load side of the pump relay. So your SWG will be running anytime the pump is running without any scheduling control other than what the pump is scheduled to run for. You also will not have any remote control over the Hayward system and so any settings will have to be adjusted at the Hayward panel and any salinity or diagnostic readouts will have to be done from the panel as well. As long as that is ok with you, then there's nothing wrong with using the Hayward system.

The Hayward system is fine. Just realize that it will not communicate at all with the ET panel and so the only thing the ET panel will provide is power by ensuring that the Hayward power supply is hooked up to the load side of the pump relay. So your SWG will be running anytime the pump is running without any scheduling control other than what the pump is scheduled to run for. You also will not have any remote control over the Hayward system and so any settings will have to be adjusted at the Hayward panel and any salinity or diagnostic readouts will have to be done from the panel as well. As long as that is ok with you, then there's nothing wrong with using the Hayward system.

So I would have control with my remote for the salt system settings if I go with the Pentair SWG? That makes sense to me. I was thinking my particular easy touch system didn't have the relay or controls. Other thing is this easy touch system is already 10 years old. Not sure of the lifespan of one of these, but I would eventually like to upgrade to something with control from a smartphone app rather than this clunky remote.

So I would have control with my remote for the salt system settings if I go with the Pentair SWG? That makes sense to me. I was thinking my particular easy touch system didn't have the relay or controls. Other thing is this easy touch system is already 10 years old. Not sure of the lifespan of one of these, but I would eventually like to upgrade to something with control from a smartphone app rather than this clunky remote.

Given the age of everything, you might want to contact Pentair BEFORE buying anything to make sure compatibility is not an issue. Something that might interest you is a packaged system like this -

Pentair Easy Touch Control System 521150. EasyTouch 8SC-IC60 Control System. Pentair 521150.

That package includes a brand new, 8 relay ET panel, actuators (not sure if you'd need them), the power supply for the SWG built into the unit and an IC-60 SWG. You could also hook up your new heater to it as well. It's a dual-body system (Pool and Spa) so you would have to see if a single-water-body system is available. If not, it's no big deal as you can just ignore the SPA side. That system would also work with Pentair's latest control technology, ScreenLogic-2 and those kits run about $400 or so. The SL2 system allows you to use a smartphone to control pool operation and even allows for remote control of the pool when you're not at home.

As for the pump, you could simply leave the wet-end in place and purchase a compatible 2-speed electric motor with impeller kit. Those typically run $200-300 depending on the sizes, but that would allow you to convert the single speed pump int a two speed pump. There are special relays you can buy for the ET panel to allow you to run a 2-speed pump remotely.

Lots of options as long as you have the $$$$$ for it.....

Update...

So I finally got a saltwater kit. Actually got it for free. Just a couple quick questions about install for my setup.

1. The spot I have to install the cell is just long enough for the cell. I don’t think I have room for the flow switch. It also says that there needs to be 12” of interrupted pipe before the flow switch.

2. I’ve attached some pictures. I do have the whole kit now not just the cell. I’m assuming I can grab power from the ET panel and then have it connected to the pump relay as well.

3. It can work from 110 or 220. Are there any pros/cons to either? It’s rated for 40000 gallons and my pool is 20000 gallons.

d64e92bdb8895044c62f237ca563f26e.jpg
3e02df9622bb6221c22f543cbf2213fe.jpg
da0ef0194d5e967f79e47f32af219fa2.jpg
3e02df9622bb6221c22f543cbf2213fe.jpg

You really should use the flow switch, it’s a safety mechanism. If you can’t go straight horizontal with your placement, then go vertical. I believe CircuPool sells a kit for vertical installation.

Yes, the cell is a good size for your pool as it’s rated at 2X your volume.

Make sure the cell is powered from the LOAD side of your pump relay. That way, your SWG is only on when the POOL circuit is running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, JamesW makes an excellent point. Because SWG’s add chlorine slowly and only work when the pump is running, you’re going to be running your pump a lot longer than you’re used to. So getting either a 2-speed pump or a variable speed pump will make your electric bills a lot more tolerable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.