Converting from Chlorine to Baquacil?

Jul 6, 2008
Hi. I have a 13x42 Intex Metal Frame Pool with a 1000 GPH Cartridge filter and I am currently using Chlorine pucks and the Shock Plus from Aquachem to keep my pool clear. But the Chlorine irritates all of our skin, especially my kids. We just moved here and at our previous residence we used Saltwater so no chlorine effects. But this is to get us through the summer until our new pool is built this winter. How hard is the conversion to Baquacil from Chlorine? And we will be draining the pool this winter anyways so is there any major disadvantages to using Baq? It's a 2,888 gallon pool so it shouldn't use that much. Rec Warehouse is having a good sale until tomorrow so I am kinda in a hurry to decide. I hear of a lot of complaints with Baquacil from after the first few years. But this will only be for a few months?

Will my water stay as clear as it is on Chlorine? And also will it really be like the dealer told me, all I need is Sanitizer/Algistat and Oxidizer?
And is it as effective as killing bacteria, viruses, and cysts as Chlorine?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

I doubt it's the chlorine that's bothering you. In your salt pool, you had chlorine as well, and at the same levels you do now. It's probably the lack of salt you are noticing. The salt itself makes the water feel better on your skin and eyes. You can add enough until it starts to feel better. I think people report this happens around 900ppm, but you could go all the way to the 2500 to 3000ppm range. It's easy to add more, so shoot for 900ppm, then add until it feels right.

Welcome to TFP!

Baquacil normally works well for the first year, though it can get rather expensive. You will very likely need to replace the filter media after each year you use baquacil, in addition to massive water replacement after each year.

However, I agree with JohnT. Any problems you are having right now are not the chlorine it's self. Adding salt and getting your chemical levels right will probably solve all your current issues far more quickly and inexpensively.

All salt pools contain chlorine.

The salt alone doesn't sanitize your pool. Instead, it allows for the generation of chlorine molecules by passing the salty water over an electrical element of sorts.

Skin irritation is usually a water balance issue and children are more sensitive to out of balance water oftentimes than are adults.

Hey again. Thanks for the advice. I don't like Chlorine whatsoever. We drained the pool today to level the ground out completely and had to refill it so I went ahead and got Baquacil.

I added the Oxidizer and then the Sanitizer and Algistat. But i am unclear as to how often to add the Oxidizer, it has conflicting instructions. It says Weekly and then Monthly. I have heard 2 different things. So is it monthly I add it or every week? Thanks

When my IG pool is complete I think I am going with a Saltwater Chlorine Converter again. I did consider the BBB method but since it's the same as Chlorine I don't want to mess with it. Salt is much more soothing just in my opinion. Can you add salt to a Baquacil pool also?

locust43 said:
When my IG pool is complete I think I am going with a Saltwater Chlorine Converter again. I did consider the BBB method but since it's the same as Chlorine I don't want to mess with it. Salt is much more soothing just in my opinion. Can you add salt to a Baquacil pool also?

Salt pools have chlorine in them that is indistinguishable from what is added by other methods. I don't think we currently have any members who use Baquacil, so advice will be hard to come by here. You can put salt in any pool, but Baquacil makes the water feel softer, so there is no need for it.

locust43 said:
Hey again. Thanks for the advice. I don't like Chlorine whatsoever. We drained the pool today to level the ground out completely and had to refill it so I went ahead and got Baquacil.

I added the Oxidizer and then the Sanitizer and Algistat. But i am unclear as to how often to add the Oxidizer, it has conflicting instructions. It says Weekly and then Monthly. I have heard 2 different things. So is it monthly I add it or every week? Thanks

Just an FYI, it is a Saltwater Chlorine Generator, not Converter. It does not convert chlorine, it generates it. You still have chlorine in your pool, it's just the salt makes the water feel different.

[I added the Oxidizer and then the Sanitizer and Algistat. But i am unclear as to how often to add the Oxidizer, it has conflicting instructions. It says Weekly and then Monthly. I have heard 2 different things. So is it monthly I add it or every week? Thanks]

Hello,
30 days ago I completed my conversion from Baq to chlorine. My pool has never been cleaner. One of my children has a rare skin disease (dermatomyositis) so I was concerned about the chlorine and how it might affect her. That is why I went with Baq in the first place. She has had absolutely no problem with the chlorine. I keep it at 4ppm or less. Everyone has commented on how clear the pool is and how nice it feels. You can even open your eyes under water with no problem. If you keep your pool in balance, you will have no problems with chlorine in your next pool.

As for you question about Baq Oxidizer, I started using it once per month as directed by the pool store but when that failed to keep the pink slim from forming, I was instructed to use 1 gal per week. When that did not stop the pink slim from forming, I began using a gallon every other day. This was equivanent to pouring money into the pool. Then they said to use CDX to make the Oxidizer last longer. It did not have any affect on the pink slim that formed under my wedding cake pool stairs. The pool store was very happy to see me. I think they were preparing to give me my own labeled parking space. You should be able to get through this season without much of a problem, except the cost. Start by using 1 gallon of oxidizer per month but test weekly and adjust as necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.