conversion with bleach begun 4/5/11

Pool tested the same this morning as when we tested before bed last night: 17ppm. Chlorine still a tad high, I hope that will not cause problems. I think this means we are ready to change the sand out then add stabilizer.

I have class today. Is there any harm is waiting and doing it tomorrow? I will keep testing to make sure we stay at 15ppm.

Pool is blue, nearly clear: i can see the bottom stair, but it is not crystal clear yet. I'm guessing clean sand will filter out the rest of the particulates.

Let me know if you think I need to do anything other than keep it at 15ppm for today and then change media tomorrow. Thanks for the hand holding!

Re: conversion with bleach begun 4/5/11 Pictures

Day 1 of conversion. We were very frightened!!

[attachment=2:2cnswad7]Green, just prior to conversion.JPG[/attachment:2cnswad7][attachment=1:2cnswad7]Frightening.JPG[/attachment:2cnswad7][attachment=0:2cnswad7]lightening.JPG[/attachment:2cnswad7]

Attachments

• Green, just prior to conversion.JPG
    Green, just prior to conversion.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 94
  • Frightening.JPG
    Frightening.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 94
  • lightening.JPG
    lightening.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 94
This brings us to today. All this change in 6 days.

[attachment=1:2kk3aq1y]Day 5.JPG[/attachment:2kk3aq1y][attachment=0:2kk3aq1y]Day 6.JPG[/attachment:2kk3aq1y]

Attachments

• Day 5.JPG
    Day 5.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Day 6.JPG
    Day 6.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 90
We changed the sand in one filter this morning and will do the other this evening or tomorrow morning. We will not add cya until both are done. I asked a few cya questions elsewhere.

I noticed a few white powdery looking patches of residue in a few places. I can't reach them with the brush until i can get in and work from in the pool. is this typical?

thanks!

The pool is crystal clear this morning and I don't see any particulates floating about.

White powder is not especially common during baquacil conversions, but it isn't likely to be a problem either.

After you get the CYA in it is simply a question of waiting for CC to be 0.5 or lower for two days in a row, then you are done!

Yes and yes. The FC will continue to fall and you'll need to add more chlorine to keep it up. During this time the CC will vary, but don't worry about that. Eventually it will fall off, but only after all the Baquacil has been oxidized by the chlorine. Since you say your pool is clear, you are in the final stages of clearing out the last of the Baquacil.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CC will clear more quickly if you let the pool get direct sunlight during the day, at least once the CYA level comes up. Once you have some CYA in the water you won't lose chlorine nearly as quickly to sunlight.

Day 12 of conversion: CC question

My pool is clear, my FC level is at 15, with 0-1 drop overnight, some nights, not all. My sand has been changed. My CYA is now at 30.

My CC has remained high. :cry: It as been about 16-17. Today it dropped to 13.5. We actually have some sun today, a rarity here lately. :sunny: I will open the cover up to see if that helps.

My question is: how long can I expect it to take for CC level to drop and stabilize :?: I have no sense of what is "normal" for this process and would feel better if I had an idea of what to expect.

Thanks!

Re: Day 12 of conversion: CC question

Your CC level at this stage of the conversion is a little higher than usual, but there is always some. CC typically drops about 1.0/day from this point. Some people see slightly faster drops, especially if CC enters this phase high, but 1.0/day is very common.

OK, that gives me a sense of timing.
That means 2 more weeks. I'm bummed! :cry: I use the pool at least 3 days a week to swim the dogs; the aging girls really need it.

Does this mean I can't drop my FC level and balance the remaining chemicals until the CC is down?

Thanks for the quick replies!

I am becoming very discouraged and frustrated! My cc's will not drop. They have stayed stuck at 5-5.5 since the 23rd.

I need to get the pool back as my therapy pool and I don't understand why this process won't progress. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Is there some way to move the process along? I feel like we've made a mistake, it's nice to see clear water, but what good is it if I have to leave the chlorine at 15 and can't balance the chemicals and swim in the darn thing!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Have you opened the dome to let sunlight hit the pool? The UV in sunlight breaks down some chlorine into hydroxyl free radicals that can speedily oxidize organic chemicals. Worst case, if you are stuck in spite of sunlight, there are some other oxidizer chemicals that can be tried if all else fails (such as sodium percarbonate or possibly MPS).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.