Control panel reading not matching manual reading.

Paul1231

Jun 5, 2019
FL
I just installed a new T-Cell15 yesterday. The old one failed testing at the pool store. It's the enhanced cell, the 940, but uses the same setup as the T-Cell15. My reading with a Taylor test kit was 3000PPM. The pool store showed 2800PPM. So we're close. But the control panel shows 2400PPM and the cell is not coming on due to the low salt reading. My control panel is a Hayward Aqua Plus. I've tried to find a reset or sync code and haven't found anything yet. My diagnostic settings are
-26.15 -6.06
86.5 degrees 2400PPm
instant salt 2400ppm
flow
cell temp 86
water sensor 87
air sensor 88
Could this be a bad card in the controller? Or is there a way to reset and sync everything up?

The instant salinity is probably pretty accurate. You should increase the salinity some.

Watch the amps and make sure that they don't get to 8.0.

As long as the average salinity is reading above 2,400 ppm, the cell will work.

Between 2,400 and 2,700 ppm, the low salt warning will blink, but the cell is still producing.

Keep the amps to about 7.0.

If you bring the salinity too high, the amps will hit 8.0 and the unit will shut down.

If you have a heater, what are the readings with the heater on?

The Aquarite has a design flaw where the high amp shutdown will happen at normal salinity when the water temperature is above about 90 degrees.

One thing you can do to allow you to run at lower salinity is to change the cell type to a T-9 in settings.

The T-9 setting should also shut down at 8.0 amps, but the salinity will read higher than actual.

In a high water temperature situation, I would switch the cell type to a T-9 in settings.

You should immediately see the instant salinity go to over 3,000.

Go to diagnostics and press the > to get the instant salinity by itself and then press + to save.

The Aquarite has a design flaw where the high amp shutdown will happen at normal salinity when the water temperature is above about 90 degrees.

One thing you can do to allow you to run at lower salinity is to change the cell type to a T-9 in settings.

The T-9 setting should also shut down at 8.0 amps, but the salinity will read higher than actual.

In a high water temperature situation, I would switch the cell type to a T-9 in settings.

You should immediately see the instant salinity go to over 3,000.

Go to diagnostics and press the > to get the instant salinity by itself and then press + to save.

Thanks for the information. I have an Aqua Plus, the display doesn't look like your example. Maybe the logic still stands, but wanted to bring that up. What concerns me is my panel seems to be off from what the actual salinity number is. That's what got me into this mess. My pool guy, since fired, was just dumping in bags every week because the panel showed low salt. He had my salt to over 8000 but the panel showed 2300. I drained almost 5 feet of water from my pool to get the salt down to this level. My salt level is not real low, it's between 2800 and 3000 right now, but the control diagnostics shows 2400. That's what I'm trying to get figured out. Could it just be that the new cell needs to settle in for a couple of days?

The actual salinity is probably between 2,400 and 3,000 ppm.

I would go by the box as that's what matters as far as making chlorine.

Are you sure that the new cell is a T-15?

Make sure that the water is well mixed and test it two more independent ways to see what the new tests show.

The AquaPlus is the same as ProLogic.

If the water will get above 89 degrees, I would probably switch the cell type in the configuration menu to T-9.

Reactions: Paul1231
The actual salinity is probably between 2,400 and 3,000 ppm.

I would go by the box as that's what matters as far as making chlorine.

Are you sure that the new cell is a T-15?

Make sure that the water is well mixed and test it two more independent ways to see what the new tests show.

The AquaPlus is the same as ProLogic.

If the water will get above 89 degrees, I would probably switch the cell type in the configuration menu to T-9.
So I've had my Hayward for 10+ years and this is the first I've heard about the high temp issue and cell type. We like our pool on the warm side - around 90. The cell is on its 5th season and has worked fine until now. My salt tests out at 3000-3200, but the panel is now reading 2100. The panel says the water is 92 but it's pulling from just under the solar cover. Pool is probably about 88-89. What I seem to recall - thinking back a little - is that this year as the water has warmed up the panel reading has gone down.

I just went out to the panel and switched the cell to t-9 and the salt is now reading about 3000. The chlorine is low so I turned on SuperChlorinate. I'm just concerned about the side effects of the panel not matching the cell. Is this something that is done to eek out a little more life from an aging cell?

What is the cell model number?

You need to be really sure about the actual salinity. Measure it two independent ways.

Use a different K-1766 test kit or new reagents and also do a conductivity salinity test.

James: on your post above you said that AquaRite had a design flaw yet you posted videos about ProLogic (AquaPlus). Which system are you talking about that has design flaws?

<The Aquarite has a design flaw where the high amp shutdown will happen at normal salinity when the water temperature is above about 90 degrees. >

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
James: on your post above you said that AquaRite had a design flaw yet you posted videos about ProLogic (AquaPlus). Which system are you talking about that has design flaws?

<The Aquarite has a design flaw where the high amp shutdown will happen at normal salinity when the water temperature is above about 90 degrees. >
AquaRite, ProLogic, and AquaPlus all shut down at 8.0 amps.

Some software revisions shut down at 10 amps, but I'm not sure which revisions use 10 vs. 8.

Most software revisions shut down at 8.0 amps.

At "normal" salinity levels of 3,200 ppm, the amperage begins to approach or exceed 8.0 amps at about 92 degrees.

This can be a problem for warmer pools, especially when the cell is downstream from a gas heater where the temperature exiting the heater can be up to 16.8 degrees Fahrenheit higher than the inlet temperature.

To stay below the 8.0 amp limit, you have to maintain the salinity below about 2,800 ppm.

The system will work down to 2,400 ppm, but it will give a constant "Low Salinity" warning at 2,700 ppm.

Trying to keep the salinity exactly at 2,800 to avoid getting a low salinity warning or a high amp error is difficult.

To avoid the low salinity warning and the high amp shutdown, you can change the cell type to T-9.

This will make the salinity read higher than actual so that you can operate at an actual salinity of 2,400 to 2,800 ppm without the low salinity warning all the time.

You would try to keep the amperage between about 6 to 7 amps maximum.

You would make sure that the amperage was always below 8.0, even when the heater was on.

The T-940 cell is the long life version of the T-15.

The T-925 is the long life version of the T-9 cell.

The poster says that they have a T-940, but the readings match a T-925 cell.

So, maybe the cell is a T-925 or it's an underperforming T-940 or the salinity tests are not accurate.

We need to verify the salinity to a high degree of certainty and we need to verify the cell model type.

The cell performance can be evaluated by dividing the instant salinity by the verified actual salinity.

Check the instant salinity in both polarities by going to diagnostics and noting the instant salinity, then press the + button to reverse the polarity as shown in the second video. The cell will reverse polarity and a new set of diagnostic readings will display. The instant salinity should be the same in both polarities +/- 200 ppm.

If the cell performance is below 75%, it's a bad cell.

If the performance of a new cell is below 80%, I would return it for a replacement.

You can manage with a high water temperature, but in my opinion, it's easier to manage by switching the cell type to T-9 when the water temperature is going to be above 92 degrees in general or because it's downstream from a gas heater.

It won't hurt anything to run like this. The higher water temperature compensates for the lower salinity.

Last edited:
So I've had my Hayward for 10+ years and this is the first I've heard about the high temp issue and cell type. We like our pool on the warm side - around 90. The cell is on its 5th season and has worked fine until now. My salt tests out at 3000-3200, but the panel is now reading 2100. The panel says the water is 92 but it's pulling from just under the solar cover. Pool is probably about 88-89. What I seem to recall - thinking back a little - is that this year as the water has warmed up the panel reading has gone down.

I just went out to the panel and switched the cell to t-9 and the salt is now reading about 3000. The chlorine is low so I turned on SuperChlorinate. I'm just concerned about the side effects of the panel not matching the cell. Is this something that is done to eek out a little more life from an aging cell?
You need to start a new thread so that your information doesn't get confused with the OP's information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.