Constantly Slamming...all summer

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
I’m so frustrated. This is only my second year with my pool and it’s been a rough one. I feel like I am constantly slamming my pool every couple weeks. We have missed out on swimming over holiday weekends and BBQ’s and it’s very frustrating. I have been meticulous
about testing. I will slam and it will take a good week, pass all tests and water is amazing. Then shortly after it gets pristine, BAM, it looks dirty and starts getting drown spots along the bottom and sides.

Over the the past week I have been testing daily. I even turned off my SWG and have been manually adding in bleach every morning. I have even been keeping my target at 10 for FC. all other numbers are always good. After it passed its last SLAM, I added CYA to bring it up to 70. I will say, it seems my CYA disappears quick. Last year I don’t remember adding CYA after the initial open. This season it keeps dropping to 40. Of course I bring it up after my slam is complete and all tests passed only to have to slam again a few weeks later with now even more bleach because of the CYS levels. I have spent so much money on bleach this summer.

I am confident that my FC is not dropping. I put enough bleach every morning to bring it up to a 10 figuring maybe I needed a higher FC. The only thing I can think of is that my pump is just not adequate and I may need to upgrade yet again. I literally run the pump 24/7 in hopes that I won’t have to slam so soon after the last time.

I bought an intex automatic pool vaccume and hate it, it just blows around anything in the pool so I went back to the manual brushing. But then I thought, well maybe it’s helping to circulate the water a bit more. Today I woke up, and was upset to yet again see sediment stuff at the bottom. I vacuumed and now the pool has a greenish tint. The water was clear before I vacuumed today aside from the sports on the bottom.

Im literally so upset. I don’t know what else I could be doing. It’s getting exhausting and frustrating that I can’t enjoy my pool. It’s basically a body of water in my backyard that consumes bleach and electricity Because of running the pump 247. No enjoyment watsoever.

I really could use use some advice. I’m ready to close up the pool and throw in the towel. I don’t have a problem upgrading to a better sand filter, but not sure if that’s my issue. SWG seems to work just fine. I have done tests in the morning and then in the evening to make sure it’s chlorenating. Sigh.

;(

Do you mean brown spots? I'm wondering if your water may have high iron levels. Other than that, could you give a full list of your test readings that are recent? Such as FC, CC, TA, PH, CYA.

Yes, brown looking dirt spots. Scattered on the bottom with a brownish color along the perimeter side vinyl. When I brushed and vacuumed it swirls almost like a dust. The water was clear prior to this aside from the stuff on the bottom. Now it looks a bit murky. Almost like it was vacuumed up and blown back into the pool with a blueish greenish tint but I can still see the bottom. It looks like “wave patterns” of it when it’s settled at the bottom which I assume is from the filter pushing the water around. Think of like the sand patterns at the bottom of the ocean from waves. Here are my numbers:

FC 15
CC .5
CYA 70
TA 100
CH 75
PH 8.2

Now, after I vacuumed today I added some bleach which is why my FC is high. Lately I have been keeping it at 10. Prior I was keeping it at the recommended 5 for my pool. I just recently broughtt my CYA up from 40 to 70 after my last slam (pool passed all tests and water was crystal clear) this was 4 days ago. PH is typically at 7.8 but looks like it jumped after my bleach addition this afternoon.

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test I know you've done these in the past and were successful. Try and get that pH down to 7.4 as well.

FC was 11.5 for OCLT which I knew it was going to be low. And the “dirt” markings on the bottom are back again this morning after vacuuming yesterday at 1pm. It’s just so exhausting. I am doing this every few weeks the entire summer.

Since the pool passed its last slam a few weeks ago, the lowest the FC has fallen is 7.5. I have been keeping it up at a 10, manually adding bleach every morning with the SWCG off and pump running 247.

My slam process takes almost a week every time. I feel like I slam more than I swim.

And yes, I am absolutely positive that the pool passes it’s slam test. I even often go an extra day just to make sure.

I'm confused... you say: but I don't know what it was late the previous night. So how much did you lose??

Do you fill from a well?? Can you dump and re-fill?

Maddie :flower:

The numbers from the night before were:

FC 15
CC .5
CYA 70
TA 100
CH 75
PH 8.2 (high due to high FC, but prior was normal at 7.8)

Pool is filled with city water from a hose. Being that my pool will close soon because I am in Michigan, it wouldn't make sense to re-fill. My water is very expensive as I have to pay a sewage fee also.

The numbers from the night before were:

FC 15
CC .5
CYA 70
TA 100
CH 75
PH 8.2 (high due to high FC, but prior was normal at 7.8)

Pool is filled with city water from a hose. Being that my pool will close soon because I am in Michigan, it wouldn't make sense to re-fill. My water is very expensive as I have to pay a sewage fee also.

Before you refill it next season, call your water department and let them know you are filling a pool. Many jurisdictions will waive the sewage fee, but they all have different requirements to allow you to get the credit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.