Consolidation of faded plaster owners

Jan 28, 2014
Buckeye AZ
5 years after our pool was installed, all the color has faded from the plaster. It was noticeable even after three years. OnBalance has posted about this, with examplesDSC_5186_01.JPGDSC_8753.JPG. The builder of course doesn't see the problem, or blames high TDS and TA of 45. So I am trying to get other examples, either way.

If you had blue plaster, or PebbleTec that used blue plaster, let me know if you've had the same issue. Ours was this color after installation, and now is this gray color.

Or, if your pool is still bright blue years later, let me know too!
If you know the actual name of the surface you selected, even better. Ours was "Topaz", via California pools.

the warranty guy have never had anyone else ever complain about faded plaster, but I'm betting people either don't realize or that hasn't been a mass outcry.

@pooldv has posted about his faded pool plaster is the past on a previous pool. It was night and day.

Ha... I hope you have a whole lot of membership cards already printed....

Did you notice more on the horizontal surfaces indicating sun as a major contributor?MVIMG_20190421_114134-3024x2268.jpg

2 yr old med Grey plaster... MVIMG_20190421_114100-3024x2268.jpgIMG_20190419_173404.jpg

This may be a dumb question...my apologies if so...we don't have plaster yet. Is the issue that the actual water color is no longer blue (or as blue) or just that the plaster faded at all, or the fading wasn't even and now the pool looks mottled? Just curious because many of the 'blue' colors seem to have a gray plaster to begin with. So if it fades from blue to gray plaster, is your water still blue? We were planning to get Pebblesheen Blue Surf, which has blue plaster...so obviously concerned if the fading blue results in a mottled surface or water that just isn't as blue as it started?

Gray plaster also gives a nice rich blue. But I’m sure there is some difference but it happens over time so you don’t notice it I suspect.

Admittedly with a pebble Tec surface like we have, it can be harder to detect mottling or that pocked look. We had some streaking generally, but it was minor and it was there from the first month of the pool. This is a pool-wide removal of the color from the blue plaster that holds all the pebble together. The Baja shelf looks more gray than the bottom of the pool, but you’re also looking through four extra feet of water looking In the deep end. If I get down there with a scuba mask it’s the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.