Considering Above-Ground Pool--Any Advice?

patrickphimr

May 24, 2022
United kingdom
Hello. I am new here.
I've looked at a lot of above-ground pools, and they range in price from $200--$2000+. Obviously, you get what you pay for! However, I'm not looking for the pool of the century, just something for them to splash around in. I was thinking about 18' X 48". I have seen some at Walmart, Academy, etc they're called Easy Set. Essentially, it's an inflatable ring around the pool liner, then it "grows" as you fill it up. It really sounds kind of flimsy to me. Seems the only way in and out is through the ladder, any pressure on the inflatable edge and you'd have a flood! Also, everything I've read says you have to level the ground and cut away any sod, or otherwise, the grass will rot underneath, causing nasty smells and possible fungus, rot, etc. Ok, so we get an above-ground pool from Walmart. They only deliver it curbside, and won't even take it inside the backyard. Then, we set it up--oops, did we forget to cut out the sod first? Well, moving right along, we then set up our pool, be it a Walmart cheapo or something nice about $2000 plus. Now, what will I find out?

I guess I'd like some advice from above-ground pool owners who have had theirs for a while and can inform me of the pros and cons, the things you never find out until you've had it for a while. Is it a pain to maintain? Expensive? Do the kids enjoy it at first and then grow bored with it? Well, any advice, suggestions, etc., thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

I would start with with the Pool School articles for Seasonal Pools.

Water chemistry is easy with TFP care methods and not expensive in the long-term. There is the intial investment in appropriate testing kit (not sure what is available specifically in UK).

As for personal experiences: we LOVE owning and controlling our own pool. We started with the smallest inflatable ring style over 8yrs ago and are now at the maximum metal frame size we can put in our yard (we would go bigger if we had space). We winterize our AGP pool, but many take them down and reassemble them.

Welcome to TFP!

I would start with with the Pool School articles for Seasonal Pools.

Water chemistry is easy with TFP care methods and not expensive in the long-term. There is the intial investment in appropriate testing kit (not sure what is available specifically in UK).

As for personal experiences: we LOVE owning and controlling our own pool. We started with the smallest inflatable ring style over 8yrs ago and are now at the maximum metal frame size we can put in our yard (we would go bigger if we had space). We winterize our AGP pool, but many take them down and reassemble them. Pool Renovation & Remodeling Services San Antonio
thank you for your response and suggestion

I have never had an easy set but form what I heard, the ring easily deflates and water floods everywhere. It's mainly what kept me from buying it but didn't want to spend a fortune either. I've been happy with my Intex and I'm going on my third season. I suspect they last 3 to 6 seasons? So if you are looking for something more permanent, look for a hard sided pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.