Connecting drain port to pump return on Intex Ultra Frame

Apr 19, 2018
Fresno/CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all, first time posting here. We're on the second season of our 32x16 intex ultra frame pool. We started with a Bestway 9x18 and quickly outgrew it. I'm getting ready to plumb everything with PVC and a through wall skimmer. My question is: has anyone tried to tie the bottom drain ports into the intake lines to improve water movement along the bottom? I have two drain ports at opposite corners and I was toying with the idea of running 1" pvc to each of the hose adapters and tying them into the skimmer line. Thoughts?

I wouldn't say its a problem. I throw the sweep in once a week to pick up any dirt but rectangular pools aren't the best at circulating water so just thought it may help. I thought about the skimmer suction as well and figured ball valves at each drain can be adjusted to give the skimmer what it needs. When adding the skimmer do people just normally use that as the only inlet? The pool comes with 1 return and 2 inlets so imagine I'll have to plug a hole if that's the case.

The intex style pumps typically aren't very strong so I think people usually end up plugging one of the inlets when they add a skimmer.

If you add a thru wall skimmer have you checked to make sure you will be able to keep the same water depth?

water depth will be around 3 to 4 inches lower but not really an issue. Also, I have the largest Intex pump available, 2650 GPH I believe and turnover or suction hasn't been an issue. I can almost run my over wall skimmer and Hayward pool sweep at the same time. Just looking for input on the makeshift bottom drain idea.

Hey all, first time posting here. We're on the second season of our 32x16 intex ultra frame pool. We started with a Bestway 9x18 and quickly outgrew it. I'm getting ready to plumb everything with PVC and a through wall skimmer. My question is: has anyone tried to tie the bottom drain ports into the intake lines to improve water movement along the bottom? I have two drain ports at opposite corners and I was toying with the idea of running 1" pvc to each of the hose adapters and tying them into the skimmer line. ThoughI had the same thoughtts?
I had the same thought. Did you ever try this idea out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.