connect hayward skimmer to intex krystal clear pump

Jul 6, 2016
boston, ma
Hi! I just finished adding the hayward skimmer to my pool (I haven't cut the liner yet), and I need to know how to connect the skimmer to my filter pump. None of the pieces that came with the hayward skimmer fit to connect to the pump. What can I do??? I need something super simple and straight forward- I do not have lots of tools or experience with construction or plumbing. THANKS!!

Welcome! :wave: I believe Intex and Hayward use different connection sizes. You may have to use an adapter to get the two to meet. I know there are posts about it here. I'll dig around and see if I can find something unless someone else replies sooner.

To confirm, from the bottom of your new Hayward skimmer, are you using rigid PVC or the original Intex flex hose?

Take a look below. Hope that helps.

Welcome! :wave: I believe Intex and Hayward use different connection sizes. You may have to use an adapter to get the two to meet. I know there are posts about it here. I'll dig around and see if I can find something unless someone else replies sooner.

To confirm, from the bottom of your new Hayward skimmer, are you using rigid PVC or the original Intex flex hose?
The parts that came with the Hayward skimmer don't screw onto any of the parts I have for the intex pump or my coleman pool.

The parts that came with the Hayward skimmer don't screw onto any of the parts I have for the intex pump or my coleman pool.
No real surprise. They are proprietary sizes. But the skimmer pipe at the bottom should allow for a union or adapter piece to fit so that you can attach the Intex hose to it or another pipe or fitting. Those links above show how others did theirs.

Take a look below. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I am not looking to do all of that PVC plumbing stuff. I was just hoping that there is some sort of connector sold that easily connects the skimmer parts to the pump parts. Is there something? Thanks!

I was just hoping that there is some sort of connector sold that easily connects the skimmer parts to the pump parts. Is there something?
I guess the most simplest would be connecting the Intex hose (if it will fit) directly over the skimmer pipe that exits at the bottom. That is if there is a little bit of pipe extending out of the bottom, I don't recall. If the hose fits over that pipe, you might be able to secure it with a simple band clamp. Something like this:

Clamp.JPG

I guess the most simplest would be connecting the Intex hose (if it will fit) directly over the skimmer pipe that exits at the bottom. That is if there is a little bit of pipe extending out of the bottom, I don't recall. If the hose fits over that pipe, you might be able to secure it with a simple band clamp. Something like this:

View attachment 140197
The clear bendy hose from intex or coleman do not fit over the white hard pipe part that comes out of the hayward skimmer- it is not wide enough.

I believe that Hayward pipe size is 1.5 inches. So you probably need an adapter (reducer) that will accommodate the Intex hose to slip over it. Something like THIS is what I am referring to. There are other types as well that basically serve the same purpose. But you should check that Hayward pipe size to make sure it's 1.5 inches, then measure the Intex hose opening which might be around 1.25 or so, then you'll know for sure which type of adapter you need for them to mate.

I believe that Hayward pipe size is 1.5 inches. So you probably need an adapter (reducer) that will accommodate the Intex hose to slip over it. Something like THIS is what I am referring to. There are other types as well that basically serve the same purpose. But you should check that Hayward pipe size to make sure it's 1.5 inches, then measure the Intex hose opening which might be around 1.25 or so, then you'll know for sure which type of adapter you need for them to mate.
I saw this-
GAME 4560 40mm to 1 1/2 Inch Conversion Kit (For Intex & Bestway Pools)
do you think this will work?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.