Confused about possible pressure side cleaner/return line

Jun 11, 2017
Newtown, PA
This forum is a great resource, thank you in advance!

So I bought a house a few years ago with a pool, and I'm pretty familiar with pool maintenance as I grew up with one, however I'm a bit stumped with the plumbing scenario for this new pool. I have attached a picture to this post of my equipment pad. I recently re-plumbed the broken pipe and replaced the multi-port valve, with the intent to eventually add a dedicated booster pump for a pressure side cleaner. The picture below is before I did the re-plumb work.

I'm a bit stuck because the pipe I thought was dedicated for the cleaner line doesn't seem to operate the way I thought. I currently have the pipe labeled "Cleaner?" not connected to anything, and put an elbow in replacing valve connecting the main return to the upstream valve. What happens now is when I have the valve on the right turned to "main drain" the pump never get's prime, and I can see/hear air getting sucked into the "cleaner" line. If I block the cleaner line with my hand temporarily (or obviously if I were to cap it) the pump will prime and everything works fine. I don't understand how or why the line labeled cleaner would be connected to the main drain.

I also don't understand what the 1.5" pipe is that is between the main drain and blower for the jets. I'm thinking of digging all the dirt out to see if that helps me identify everything, but figured I should post here first.

pool-equip-notes.jpg

So I did the dig last night when I got home from work, and I was very surprised to find that the pipe in question is connected to the main drain!? I don't understand why someone would plumb it that way, the only thing that makes sense is would be if they wanted to sometimes use the main drain for a return, but I don't know why anyone would want that. The port on the pool wall that I thought was a dedicated cleaner line is actually plumbed with the other return as far as I can tell. This bums me out a bit because I can't really use it for a pressure side cleaner. HOWEVER, since my pool deck is pavers, and the spot the wall port is in actually faces a narrow section of the pool deck, I'm thinking of actually trenching and re-plumbing this wall port for a dedicated line. Would be a decent amount of digging and relaying a few pavers, but it could be way worse. Here is a picture of the dig out:

IMG_0568.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.