Conflicting information on installation of foam pool cove...

May 18, 2017
Pitman, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I purchased a foam pool cove kit for my 24' round that is undergoing repairs. Upon researching proper installation methods, I noticed the instructions and guidelines on various websites differ. The foam sections have a notch in them as if they are meant to be up against the bottom rail as shown in this photo:

GLADON-POOL-COVE..jpg
The issue is... the bottom rail of my pool (and most pools?) is sitting on the hard earth. The 2-3" of sand on the pool bottom would mostly cover the foam cove. This next photo (from the same website even) shows the foam cove on top of 2-3" of sand and it appears the bottom rail is under the sand as you would expect.

pool-liner-installation.jpg

What's the proper way to do this?

Here's a diagram I made of how it's currently set up. Is this correct? It was done years ago by an local experienced installer. If you had sand under the bottom rail, wouldn't it wash out? Are some people's bottom rails taller? Mine's just like a 1" tall plastic U-channel.

abovegroundpool.jpg

@JimMarshall Pavers are to be dug in - their tops flush with the level ground just as the pic above otherwise the weight of the water in the liner may pull on the top of the wall.

@JimMarshall Pavers are to be dug in - their tops flush with the level ground just as the pic above otherwise the weight of the water in the liner may pull on the top of the wall.

i dug down and got a level spot,installed and compacted crushed stone, installed and leveled the pavers, installed sand level with the tops of the pavers and compacted it, then installed the pool

i dug down and got a level spot,installed and compacted crushed stone, installed and leveled the pavers, installed sand level with the tops of the pavers and compacted it, then installed the pool

can you feel the pavers through the liner? That would be my concern w/ that. Puncture.
When u compacted that may have pushed them down further. The sand is Really just for smoothing the bottom Not support. It compacts alot with the water. Also as op mentioned washout is a concern.
@rofflesaur maybe this video will help u
Foam cove is @ 19:30

can you feel the pavers through the liner? That would be my concern w/ that. Puncture.
When u compacted that may have pushed them down further. The sand is Really just for smoothing the bottom Not support. It compacts alot with the water. Also as op mentioned washout is a concern.
@rofflesaur maybe this video will help u
Foam cove is @ 19:30

No, o don’t think I could if I wanted to. They are completely covered under the cove.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.