Confirming Leak in Skimmer Box

Brad U

Jun 8, 2020
Boca Raton, Fl
I had an in-ground pool built three years ago and am losing about an inch of water a day. I recently shut off the skimmer valve so all water would come from main drain. I checked today and the skimmer box is dry. I can see a little water at the at the bottom of the skimmer pipe and it is making a noise like a loud drip. Would this scenario confirm a leak in the skimmer line? Thank you in advance.

Yeah so that proves a suction leak and you have to repair the plumbing. Im thinking it’s coincidence that only one return jet has bubbles; if there’s bubbles in one, and through the pump, the air is coming from the skimmer line.

Yeah so that proves a suction leak and you have to repair the plumbing. Im thinking it’s coincidence that only one return jet has bubbles; if there’s bubbles in one, and through the pump, the air is coming from the skimmer line.
I turned off the skimmer and spa yesterday and the water stopped dropping about 3/4 inch below skimmer opening. However, the skimmer box on the inside is dry, just a little water at the bottom of pipe.

I am waiting to check the spa level tonight.

should the water in the skimmer have emptied even though I turned off the suction valve?

Attachments

• 1044A856-6B99-4B9A-BC84-01C16DCAA59B.jpeg
    1044A856-6B99-4B9A-BC84-01C16DCAA59B.jpeg
    519.8 KB · Views: 7
Hold on, did you test for bubbles when the skimmer was dry? test for suction leak with the pool level higher and skimmer full. Then if you have bubbles that means suction leak. I can’t use my skimmer valve to completely eliminate suction from skimmer, it just increases or decreases the ratio of water from skimmer vs. main drain. Eg 10/90 or 50/50 or 90/10. Not sure if all valves are like that though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.