Concrete Pool Deck Repair Help

dis00

Nov 9, 2016
Brunswick OH
Hi,

Im replacing a couple of sections of my concrete pool deck after making repairs to the skimmer and inlets. I have created a diagram to try to help explain.

1- do I need to place expansion joints where the dashed lines are where the new concrete will be poured?
2- where I have noted "previous crack location" - at the radius corner I had a chipping cracked area of concrete which I would like to do all I can to avoid happening again. I have shown the two places of the previous control joints. Is there a better way to place the control joints or another method to create a strong piece of concrete in the radius corner?

Concrete.jpg

As this is very specific to concrete and not particularly pools im not sure if anyone will have any suggestions. If you know another forum that might serve me better in the instance please let me know.

Thanks for your time

The expansion joints are to the back of coping. The control joints are to help the slab break where you want it to. You can use the dashed spots you have if the current deck has them to match it. If you dont want cracked concrete you want 3 things. First, a properly compacted sub base. These guys that backfill with dirt amd pour slabs after dont know anything about concrete. Second a good quality mix. Sidewalk mix is just that. I use 4000psi amd fiber mesh on any collars or decking. And third you want dry concrete. Use plasticizer instead of water if you need a more flowable mix. The more water added the weaker the mix and more shrinkage cracks. These 3" thick slabs i see are not gonna last long term

thanks Jimmy. The dashed spots are where cuts where made in the control joints of the old concrete in order to break and remove. Are you saying that I should pour the concrete so that it mates with the old concrete and then cut in new control joints instead of using expansion joint product?

My plan is to use 4000 psi with remesh and pour it at least 4in thick over a compacted gravel base. I will look into the plasticizer.

Thanks for helping

Yup that's what I would do. Any fiber board or plastic spacer looks like Crud sooner than later. On a repair I follow the previous style whether its edged, broom swept, pattern etc. New and old concrete butting together has almost no bond at all

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.