Concrete pad before liner/water?

TPippinKY

Mar 25, 2021
Kentucky
We are in the process of our vinyl liner build. The liner is delayed but I would like to go ahead and have the concrete pad done so when the liner comes in, we are ready to go.

QUESTION: Is it alright to have the concrete pad done before the liner is in and the pool has been filled?

What would you do if it were you?

Last edited:
It is riskier to backfill and pour the concrete before the pool filled with water.

The risk of the pool walls collapsing during the backfill process is greater without water in the pool. That's not to say that it will collapse only that the risk is greater.

Hi there, @TPippinKY. I've seen it done both ways but I think the folks here that have done it themselves generally do the liner and water before their deck. Perhaps @jimmythegreek won't mind weighing in?

Pro deck first: In these videos you'll see the deck is done before installing the liner:

Those are all Pool Warehouse links and I'd like to think the professionals selling the pool kits wouldn't mislead us.
Also, I don't know how common this is but I've seen a couple of videos like this where the decking is done afterwards and what a mess they make in the pool (see the 1:45 mark).

Pro deck last: I think additional arguments for the doing the deck later are spreading out your costs (do deck next season) and for giving your soil some time to settle.

Last edited:
We backfilled (clear gravel) and poured the deck before installing liner when I built mine. If your bankrolling with dirt and need to mechanically compact it then it may be different. There are a lot of people on here that way more experience and hopefully will weigh in.

A properly poured collar and braces installed will hold up fine. We do this anytime we use styrofoam cantilever forms. Be aware you cannot compact with a plate against the wall, hence the use of clear 3/4 stone for backfill

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.