Concrete in my plumbing....??

rcr97

Sep 10, 2023
Plymouth, UK
Over the last couple of years, I've noticed fairly small amounts of what I assumed were filter sound accumulating below the return ports of my in-ground, part tiled/part concrete lined pool. The sand in the filter needed changing and sure enough one of the spreaders had cracked, so I replaced it.

Cement surround to skimmer access port had also crumbled away, leaving water to bath and dissolve surrounding concrete. This has now been replaced and covered so no exposed concrete.

New pump recently fitted (more powerful) and within a week - round a 'dump' about cup full) of what I thought was sand in the pump basket, but on closer inspection, I think this is concrete (photo attached) as it's too course. Have just had another cup-full today and tend to find about an eggcup full every time I empty the pump basket (maybe every 2 weeks). I'm unsure whether this is just 'legacy concrete' from the skimmer which the newer, more powerful pump is pulling through the system, or whether it's new and represents a horrible/expensive problem lurking somewhere in the circuit. I don't think the water level is noticeably dropping (pool runs approx 8hrs/day), but not sure if this is reassuring or not...

Anyone know if there is a way of working out if this is something to be worried about? My current problem is just to watch and wait and hope the concrete accumulation clears and keep an eye on the pool level...

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1669.jpeg
    IMG_1669.jpeg
    863.7 KB · Views: 8
Over the last couple of years, I've noticed fairly small amounts of what I assumed were filter sound accumulating below the return ports of my in-ground, part tiled/part concrete lined pool. The sand in the filter needed changing and sure enough one of the spreaders had cracked, so I replaced it.

Cement surround to skimmer access port had also crumbled away, leaving water to bath and dissolve surrounding concrete. This has now been replaced and covered so no exposed concrete.

New pump recently fitted (more powerful) and within a week - round a 'dump' about cup full) of what I thought was sand in the pump basket, but on closer inspection, I think this is concrete (photo attached) as it's too course. Have just had another cup-full today and tend to find about an eggcup full every time I empty the pump basket (maybe every 2 weeks). I'm unsure whether this is just 'legacy concrete' from the skimmer which the newer, more powerful pump is pulling through the system, or whether it's new and represents a horrible/expensive problem lurking somewhere in the circuit. I don't think the water level is noticeably dropping (pool runs approx 8hrs/day), but not sure if this is reassuring or not...

Anyone know if there is a way of working out if this is something to be worried about? My current problem is just to watch and wait and hope the concrete accumulation clears and keep an eye on the pool level...

Thanks in advance...
Put some muriatic acid on it and see if it fizzes. If it does, it’s probably calcium scale.

Reactions: reggiehammond
Thanks! I'll give it a go. I assume if there's an accumulation of calcium scale, then then I need to rebalance the chemistry. Calcium balance appeared normal when I checked it recently though...
It’ll at least help tell you what it is, or isn’t.

Since you may be new, I’ll note that TFP’s definition of water balance is quite different than most any other. The pool industry seems to be stuck in the dark ages and so what they tell people is “normal” hasn’t been true for many decades now.

Take a look through the pool school recommended levels section as see what it’s about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.