Concrete decking is cheap and hot?

CraigClanAZ

Aug 17, 2020
Phoenix
We are working with our designer and wanted a more modern looking concrete deck and coping. Builder is saying it's cheap and slippery and hotter than traditional cool decking. I hate traditional cool decking. 😐 I attached an example pic of what we are thinking.

What say you all? ❤

Attachments

• cdee24779e66b0d6f879edb76a38538c.jpg
    cdee24779e66b0d6f879edb76a38538c.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 197
We had the same thought on our build. The Sun Deck coating that our builder was proposing would be sprayed on after the concrete was poured anyway, so we are going to wait and see if we like the brushed concrete. We have heard that the sun deck coatings need to be replaced over time depending on your climate and can be a fairly expensive project. I think if we decide that we are not happy with the brushed concrete we will have a concrete overlay done on the deck. The overlay can be done in many different designs and colors and has a much nicer look to it in my opinion.

Reactions: CraigClanAZ
I did "topcast" they spray a retarder on top after finishing and it stops the top layer from curing. They wash it off a couple of hours later and you get a sandpaper like finish. Looks a little more interesting than just cement and nice non slip surface around the pool. You can die the cement to make it a little more interesting. Only draw back is it is cement and in Phoenix I would imagine would get supper hot in the summer sun.

Reactions: Sollace
we are still in the planning stages of ours, and in the same boat. want the clean look and color of concrete but out here it gets miserably hot and holds that temp for hours. usually with concrete you need a 3" pour, compared to pavers or travertine, they are like 1-1 3/4" typically. so the thicker material that has all day to absorb that heat will retain it a lot longer. i wish/ wonder if i could do a thinner concrete pour that will hold up to the wear and tear plus expansion/contraction without cracking.
if you figure anything i would love to know.

thanks

We have our first PB consult today, and will ask about concrete as well. We want to do large poured concrete "stepping stones" because we love the look and like the added areas for runoff. However, we don't want them to feel like you are walking on hot coals!

Something like this:

Reactions: CraigClanAZ
Concrete tends to be much cooler than pavers, if that's the other option you're considering. I don't believe a 'thinner' pour will help anything as far as keeping the deck cooler. Consider a 'Cool Deck' coating if you're concerned about heat. We'd do it again in a heartbeat.

We have our first PB consult today, and will ask about concrete as well. We want to do large poured concrete "stepping stones" because we love the look and like the added areas for runoff. However, we don't want them to feel like you are walking on hot coals!

Something like this:

That looks really nice! Those look like they may actually be concrete pavers instead of poured concrete. When we were trying to decide what to go with for ours we put a few pavers that we were considering out in the sun next to our brushed concrete patio and the concrete didn't really get any hotter than any of the other options.

Something like this:
Love those!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.