Concerns with stone coping installed on sheer descent waterfall?

ML04

Oct 23, 2019
Toronto Ontario Canada
Hey there all --

First time poster and looking for some help from the experts here.

I'm in the process of having a pool put in and we have a sheer descent waterfall being installed in the retaining wall at the back of the pool. We had decided on the coping for the top of the wall but my builder has a concern. I searched around here and found this thread which describes the problem my builder is trying to avoid:

The sheer descent unit we are using is 48" wide and the coping stone we have been using and would like to use on top of this unit is only 23.5" wide meaning that the full weight of atleast one of the coping stones will be resting directly on waterfall unit. My pool guy is concerned that could pinch the flow or otherwise damage the unit over time, especially if someone were to decide to jump off the wall and put their weight on the stones resting on the waterfall unit. He is suggesting we use a different longer stone that spans a width greater than the whole 48" width of the waterfall so the weight is distributed fully on the adjacent wall on either side.

Makes sense but our problem is we really want the coping to match and can't find a bigger stone top that we are happy with. Looking on Google and Pinterest nearly all of the sheer descents I see have smaller coping or wall stones resting directly on the sheer descent so my question is, is my builder worried for nothing and these units are built to sustain that weight or is there an installation trick or method that everyone else seems to know that he doesn't which makes it possible to use coping stones which are not as wide as the underlying waterfall unit and therefore put weight directly on them without causing issues?

Thanks!
Mike

Last edited:
Awesome! Looks great.

So what needs to be done to install it correctly? Is the weight of the stone completely on the spout/lip part of the waterfall not something that can cause a problem? Is there a trick to a proper install using coping narrower than the waterfall, like using cement board to span the entire waterfall in one piece or a steel lintel (like used above windows to support and distribute the weight of the overhead bricks)?

Really want to be able to use the coping we selected and not sure what to tell the guy now to be able to and to get it done right.. too late to change contractors now unfortunately.

Thanks again!

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.