Completely clueless, need help!

Still waiting on my test kit, but had some free time after work and decided to go see what I could do about cleaning the debris from water before the sun went down. There we some pine needles floating around to snagged my net and got the out. That is when I noticed there is a "slime" that floats around on the top, little green clumps like little colonies of algae. Has to be thousands of them on the surface. Kicked my pump on and noticed that the pressure climbed 9 pst in 20 min, was sitting at 19psi. Shut it down cracked open the filter and cleaned the cart. Started back up 13 psi. 20 min later 19psi. Took a closer look and the green clumps and strands are not just on the surface but in the water as well and I assume that is what is clogging my filter so bad.

This is a old filter that came with the house, I bought a brand new one but it was near $100 and wanted to save it for after the shock to keep it nice. Is part of the problem that I am using/spraying off an old filter (no idea how old it is)?

2. I know when I shock it I need to keep my pump running constantly, at this rate I am going to be cleaning the filter every 20 mins for days o_O. Is this normal and just required for a swamp? I am afriad if I just leave it running and go to sleep the pressure will build up to explosive ranges.

If you devote the first day to shocking and cleaning repeatedly it will get longer and longer between each time it needs to be cleaned, if it will make it through the night the first night without needing to be cleaned I do not know.

Ike

ps will not hurt to dump some bleach in now and get a bit of a head start, it may not be the most economic use of bleach, but should not hurt if you don't go crazy with it.

Burnsy,

I think you are wise to use your old cartridge. Your new one would clog up just as quickly, if not quicker.

Don't worry much about explosive pressure but there is no point in letting it run when the cartridge is clogged......you won't be moving any water. As Isaac said above, the time between cleanings will lengthen but you just have to stick with it for now..

Ok thanks, I will make sure to start the process on a weekend then when I can watch it all day. If it does build up too high over night can it cause damage to my pump?

Have most of the debris and alge clumps out. Pressure seems to have stopped climbing, just added 280 oz of 6% bleach and and have 54 oz of cya hanging in a sock in front of the return jet. When should I test for FC again? 1/2 hour, 1 hour?

Ok I am checking and adjusting to keep my FC at 10 per the pool calc with 0 cya. I am also adding enough cya to get me to what should be 30ppm. Over half of what I put into the sock is gone. I know CYA doesn't show up on a test for a week but is it active now? IE should I adjust the amount of bleach I am adding as if I have 30ppm CYA in the pool even though it won't show on a test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.