Completely at a loss!

May 15, 2018
Front Range
Here are the ranges from the test I had done today. ClearCare Expert computerized water analysis system. I don't need to be shamed about using a pool store, I get it now, but my pool is in trouble. I will order your TF100 test kit and never set foot in another store!

FREE cHLORINE - 3.68
TOTAL CHLORINE - 4.17
CC - .49
pH - was 8.3, added 3 qts of muriatic acid, and it's now in range
Total Alkalinity - 124
CH - 116
CYA - 44
Salt - 3364

After I put the acid in, the clarity improved and I could see the gunk all over the floor, so added some DE to the skimmer and vacuumed. Now I can barely see the drains again and its cloudy. Not sure how to attack the algae. Please help, it's hotter than a burnt boot here, and want to swim....

LOL, had to laugh about the pool store comments! We can’t be sure of those numbers, but what you can do right now is read up on how to SLAM the pool. That’s the only way you are going to get rid of the algae.

Here is the link to SLAM.

Stupid question, maybe, but vacuum to waste or through the filter or does it matter?
If you are vacumming known solids off the floor, vac to waste eliminates the step of cleaning the filter.

No shaming you, but without the ability to test FC with .5 accuracy multiple times a day you are in a holding pattern.

My normal recommendation is a bottle of bleach each day until your test kit comes in, but I don't know the volume of your pool to be sure.

Vacuum to waste will lower your water levels. As TIM 5055 mentions above, vaccuming solids off the pool floor to waste, bypasses the filtration . We don't want to try that as of just yet, unless you actually can see, and have debris on your pool floor. We here at TFP want to see if we can get your water chemistry balanced first, and determine if your filtration system can clear the pool.

Unfortunately Pool Store results on water chemistry are not that reliable.

We suggest you familiarize yourself with the ABCs of Water Chemistry, and TFP Pool School.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

So kindly order that test kit, and post your results here, and we will get back to you in short order. Any questions please feel free to ask, as someone always replies back quickly here on a volunteer basis because we are all about maintaining clear sparkling water as avid hobbyist, without the need for the pool store or expensive and unnecessary chemicals. Pictures of your current situation is helpful as well as initial test results.

Welcome to TFP Abbytheo :)

As an anecdote, my setup isn't too different from yours. I've followed TFP since less that a year after install but nonetheless I let it go over the winter. I thought I'd be smarter than the algae and vacuum what had accumulated to waste. Wasn't helpful and backfired. I keep looking for shortcuts and haven't found one. The sand filter takes a good bit of time to clear the water.

Get your test kit and be diligent following the SLAM. Brushing frequently and testing very regularly until you get a feel for chlorine loss. Brush brush brush.

Update:
Got the tf100 on Friday. Numbers prior to SLAM were as above:
FREE cHLORINE - 3.68
TOTAL CHLORINE - 4.17
CC - .49
pH - 7.5
Total Alkalinity - 124
CH - 116
CYA - 44
Salt - 3364

Numbers as of 30 minutes ago:
FC - 21
CC - 0
CYA - 45
pH - who knows...so I didn't check alkalinity either...

FC got down to 21 yesterday evening after a day of full sun, so I added ~198 oz of 10% chlorine. I've been brushing like a wild woman, but this morning threw in the Dolphin Nautilus. The water is mostly clear, it's not perfect in the deep end, there is a hint of haze, but I can see the holes in the drains. I seem to get a different FC goal every time I use the pool math app...but should I take it back to 27? Also, I'm about an inch short of water, so I was thinking once the SLAM was finished, I'd add the water to help get the FC level down, is that the right process? Also, my steps are fiberglass and have a yellow haze on them that no amount of brushing removes. I tried the vitamin C and it turned white almost instantly. Before all I had the test kit the dreaded pool store said the both iron and copper were at .2 ppm. Deciding to attach one problem at a time, I slammed but need to know if and how to proceed. I bought 2lbs of ascorbic acid powder, and can get polyquat 60. I have a culator bag in the skimmer and it is as white now as when I put it in there on May 6. I have city water, and none of my toilets are stained. Not sure what other info I can give. Thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.