comparings non motorized cleaner.

Oct 8, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have had 2 G3 baracudas over the last 15 years. Replaced worn parts and then bought another one and replaced parts. Just before this weekend the plastic shell broke and is beyond repair.

My choice for the similar type of cleaner is the Pentair Cruiser or the Zodiac G3 pro. Both $300 at the local pool store. I am looking for recommendations. Anybody have the Pentair and do you like it?

Where would you recommend I purchase it from?

All thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

I have and like the original ThePoolCleaner which has now been copied by Hayward and Pentair.

Works at lower flow rates allowing more suction to be diverted to the skimmer.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, nothing really beats the new electric robots.

I've had pools for 25+ years in Arizona. For an 8-year period I owned two homes with pools here. One in Mesa and one in Gilbert. I've had pressure-side cleaners, suction-side cleaners and a new Maytronics robot about a year ago as well. I have gone back to my tried and true Hayward Navigator every time I've experimented with something new. In my pools (in this environment) it is the best for my needs. Your mileage may vary.

I even find them used on Craigslist and fix the wear items myself so I have a backup if needed. I probably spend $50 a year on parts at most. My current Navigator is well over 10+ years old and looks quite used but outperformed the Maytronics Dolphin after several dust storms. I leave the Navigators in the pool 365 days a year (unless children are swimming) and don't have to trip over or de-tangle the ugly blue power cord like the robot had. I wish the Navigators had waterline tile scrubbing but even the Dolphin only got to about 1/2 of my tile due to the pool layout. I sent it back before the 14-day trial was over.

Well, this just proves that everyone will like different things. Based on what I have read on the forums the last 7-8 years, if I had to pick which suction cleaner I would avoid, it would be the Navigator. But, that is clearly a 180 opinion from slickraft :D

I have and like the original ThePoolCleaner which has now been copied by Hayward and Pentair.

Works at lower flow rates allowing more suction to be diverted to the skimmer.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, nothing really beats the new electric robots.

Hayward did not copy "The Pool Cleaner", they bought the company Poolvergnuegen that made The Pool Cleaner back in 2013 and refreshed it.

It's a good design and a lot of people love it for it's durability, it's not without issues.

- - - Updated - - -

I have had 2 G3 baracudas over the last 15 years. Replaced worn parts and then bought another one and replaced parts. Just before this weekend the plastic shell broke and is beyond repair.

My choice for the similar type of cleaner is the Pentair Cruiser or the Zodiac G3 pro. Both $300 at the local pool store. I am looking for recommendations. Anybody have the Pentair and do you like it?

Where would you recommend I purchase it from?

All thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

G3 only has one moving part, the diaphram, it wears out eventually as does the parts under wear but compared to a mechanical cleaner it's less likely to fail. Problem is the cleaning speed and path may not be desired.

Have you looked at a Zodiac MX-6 or MX-8 Elite? The Elite with the scrubbing brushes really makes a big difference, but if you have long stringy debris, I would avoid it. Both do climb well and hit the waterline, which is one of their advantages.

Yes I know Hayward bought it, I was just over simplifying ;)

The downside of the mx8, in my opinion is that it is not simple and has much more complex mechanisms than some of the others. I had narrowed down my to those two and went with the lower flow requirement and more simplistic design of the pool cleaner

Yes, I like the convenience of leaving my baracuda g3 ($200) in pool nearly everyday in summer (and I brush manually once a month and maybe longer) Something I would be afraid to do with a $700+ robotic cleaner. I may forced use a robotic cleaner should I switch to variable speed pump when my current single speed dies.

I've had pools for 25+ years in Arizona. For an 8-year period I owned two homes with pools here. One in Mesa and one in Gilbert. I've had pressure-side cleaners, suction-side cleaners and a new Maytronics robot about a year ago as well. I have gone back to my tried and true Hayward Navigator every time I've experimented with something new. In my pools (in this environment) it is the best for my needs. Your mileage may vary.

I even find them used on Craigslist and fix the wear items myself so I have a backup if needed. I probably spend $50 a year on parts at most. My current Navigator is well over 10+ years old and looks quite used but outperformed the Maytronics Dolphin after several dust storms. I leave the Navigators in the pool 365 days a year (unless children are swimming) and don't have to trip over or de-tangle the ugly blue power cord like the robot had. I wish the Navigators had waterline tile scrubbing but even the Dolphin only got to about 1/2 of my tile due to the pool layout. I sent it back before the 14-day trial was over.

Making me feel guilty.. I just threw 4 New in box navigators in the dumpster.. I pulled hoses out for my pipe blower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.