Coming off SLAM, now where do I go....

May 21, 2017
Brentwood
I am just coming on SLAMing my pool. Water is cleared up and looking great!

This morning I did a complete set of tests, here are the results:

FC 6
CC 0
pH 7.2
CH 425
CYA 30
TA 80
Salt 3000

If I am understanding things correctly, here are my next steps:

1) Add salt - the manual for my clorinator says its should be "around 4000ppm, but never below 3000ppm". According the calculator I need to add about 200 lbs of salt to bring the level to 4000

2) Adjust CYA - according to the recommend levels chart for a SWG pool it should be between 70-80. The chlorinator manual says to "keep the stabilizer reading between 30 and 60ppm". Should I go with chlorinator manual levels? If I target 60, the calculator says add 100oz.

3) CH level is a little high, the pool is pretty full right now so I don't need to add water, is there something else I should do to reduce this?

Also, then tonight I am going to backwash the filter and add some DE.

Anything else I should be doing? Can I add salt and stabilizer at the same time or should I do one or the other first and then wait a while between?

You can add the salt and the CYA at the same time. The CYA will be in a sock in the skimmer or in front of a return and the salt will end up on the floor of the pool, so no worries. You will need to elevate the FC to compensate for the higher CYA.

I suggest you put some kids in the pool when you add the salt to help mix it. Search "Diamond Day" and see what I mean.

That CH level is only a little high. Just enjoy the pool a while and don't micromanage it.

Diamond Day sound fun! Will do that this weekend with kids over.

One question, what do you mean when you say I will need to elevate the FC? Is not 3-5 range I should be in? Or are you saying its going to drop fast once I add the stabilizer so get ready to compensate?

One question, what do you mean when you say I will need to elevate the FC? Is not 3-5 range I should be in? Or are you saying its going to drop fast once I add the stabilizer so get ready to compensate?

Yes you are fine to stay in the 3-5 range. Adding stabilizer does not drop FC to my knowledge.

You're still running as a bleach pool, correct? Then you need to use the bleach pool FC/CYA for your 70-80 CYA. Once the SWG is running, then you follow the SWG recommendations.[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.