Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron eQuilibrium EQ35
When I first got my pool, about a year ago ( before getting onto TFP ) I went through that patch of buying everything the pool shop would throw at me.
I have a full tub of this, Oxysheen

I think it was sold to me to lower my chloramines at the time. It was then suggested to use regularly, weekly.

So, my questions are.. If I maintain my pool with the correct FC/CYA and there is never any abnormal bather load is it fair to say that CC's are not a problem and this product is not required.
also, even if my CC's were to exceed 0.5ppm then it could be combatted with raising the FC, so, also, this product is not required.

It is mps -
Generally unnecessary in outdoor pools that are properly chlorinated.
It is only an oxidizer not a sanitizer.
Chlorine is both.
It contains sufates which aren’t good for your swcg among other things.

Problems sulfates can cause include:
  • Sulfates can damage concrete & plaster
  • Excess sulfates in water increases the likelihood of corrosion on metal parts
  • Excess sulfates in splash out water leads to degradation of any concrete surfaces
  • Sulfates degrade the coatings on SWG plates
  • At high enough concentrations, sulfates can react with calcium to form spindly, needle-like crystals of calcium sulfate (gypsum)
  • While sulfates in vinyl pools is typically not as problematic as in plaster pools, scaling of gypsum crystals can increase the risk of liner puncture.[10]
Sulfates can only be removed by draining water.
Oxysheen MSDS

Reactions: xDom
So what would be a legitimate use for this?
Sell it or give it away if you can’t return it.
Some people use it in indoor pools or hot tubs.
However, I have a hot tub & have never used it.
Its a known irritant.

Reactions: xDom
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.