Port Saint Lucie, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I am having an issue getting combined chlorine under control. Chemistry in check. SLAM isn’t working.
We have some areas that I believe are the cause:
1) Bird droppings once to three times a month (average).
2) Cage has soot from developers burning trees. Eveytime it rains, we get black gunk off cage through the skimmer.
3) Some yard clippings being blown into pool by HOA lawn care personnel . We have complained greatly and it helps for a while, then they do it again. We rush out to remove clippings when we can. Sometimes it is better for a few weeks, then back to square one. Ongoing issue.
4) Rain itself, lots of it. It’s Florida.

So, I have had combined chlorine at just under .5, then it will raise and I have Slammed. In past, Slam helps.

Additionally, I will raise FCL to help ward off a potential algae outbrea, especially when it rains. I keep CYA and FCL in correlation to each other according to the chart.

So, I have a new problem in that SLAM is not fixing CC to under .5. Ongoing bird droppings and rain, with soot (it’s not real bad) off the screen cage I think is why I can’t seem to get the CC in check.

I want to try to lower the FC back into normal range and do an experiment and use phosphate remover (it’s about 1000 ppm). I’ve never used a phosphate remover. I had read a while back that bird droppings have phosphates. Since I can’t seem to get the Slam to do the trick, I’m at a loss how to get combined chlorine in check!
I would really like to be able to use the pool again, with normal FCL and CC levels controlled. I am also concerned about equipment .
Any insight in what to do is greatly appreciated!

I’m not an expert on if these contaminates would cause the CC issue, but assuming they are the source have you thought about a cover? It’s going to come with it’s own CC issue but that would be solved after pulling it off and letting it breathe. Just a thought, aside from the CC issue I’d probably be more concerned with the general “yuck” and annoyance with all the possible sources you mentioned.

"friend", we're going to need to see some water test results to help. You mention that you have done a SLAM, but did you actually perform and maintain it until you passed all 3 SLAM criteria? CCs will fluctuate based on various factors, so before doing a SLAM Process did you try an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test? A well maintained FC level, based on your CYA, should be able to handle the challenges you noted above, so we would first like to see a full set of test results. Hold off on any phosphate product. I doubt that will have an impact on anything other than your wallet.

Note that your signature is blank, so updating your signature would also be very helpful.

Reactions: Mdragger88
CC is a funny test in that there are many "species" of combined chlorine and not all of them show up equally in the test results.

Typically CCs are chloramines which form when chlorine combines with nitrogen containing compounds in urine and sweat. Based on that, the two things that interest me the most are the yard clippings and bird droppings. When you say bird droppings 1-3 times per month, do you mean one bird dropping? Or like a flock of flamingos takes up residence 1-3 times per month?

For the yard clippings, grass or other plants do not typically have a lot of nitrogen (usually we thing of fats and proteins for nitrogen), BUT lawn fertilizer is very nitrogen heavy. Do you think it's possible that fertilizer is making it into your pool?

Here's some more reading on CCs and where they come from CC - Further Reading

Edit after re-reading your original post:
When you say CCs rise...how high are we talking?

Bird dropping definitely can raise phosphorus, but I'm still leaning toward to fertilizer for the source of that as well. You mean 1000ppb for those, right? Not ppm? In and of themselves, phosphates are not dangerous, but if your FC drops, they'll let algae grow like crazy.

What is stopping you from swimming in your pool?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.