Combined Chlorine 7.5 High

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hey all,

Just had my pool opened day before and they put 4 gallons shock in. I have a salt water pool and its still cold here 58 degrees. I went to the pool store to test my water and they said my combined chlorine was super high at almost 8 free chlorine 0.6. The print out said I needed 27 lbs of shock and I said no frigin way im throwing 27 gallons of chlorine in a 16k gallon pool. Chlorine was only light yellow in the test kit today after they put 4 gallons in so I added 4 more and hours later still yellow so added 2 more for a total of 10 gallons. Now going to just wait a full day as already 10 seem like a lot of shock.

Anyone see any issue with this approach as I am trying to just clear it enough to see the bottom to vacuum. My pool is a salt water pool but the water is cold and once clear going to add a few more bags of salt and get the salt cell doing its thing.

I'm just going to say yes, we absolutely see an issue with this approach. Pool store testing and advice is incredibly discouraged, as I'm sure you have noticed over the years. I have an idea what is going on but I can't offer any advice based on pool store testing.

The best approach would be using your own test kit (TF-100 or Taylor k-2006c) and SLAM Process.

Reactions: beantownace
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.