PammyB

Jun 27, 2021
Hudson, Quebec
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After treating for what I assume was algae ,with granular chlorine and algaecide ( greenish cloudy pool) our water is much better , no green at all , but now looks milky and I cannot see the bottom in the deep end at all.
I don’t know all the levels but what I have is :
CYA : 80
Free Chlorine : 8.2
Total Chlorine : 8.7

What should I do?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You still have algae. You need to follow the SLAM Process page in its entirety. Also be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Include your test kit as well. Be sure to lower the pH to about 7.2 before starting the SLAM Process. Use liquid chlorine to maintain teh elevated FC level required based on your current CYA - see FC/CYA Levels. Good luck!

So much chlorine for my cya level ! Since my water is not that bad is it likely I won’t be keeping the chlorine high for too long ?
You would think, but it's really hard to know for sure. The only way to lower the CYA so that you could have a lower FC SLAM level is by exchanging some water. You do have that option.

I have to wait probably 2 weeks for my test kit to arrive ( I’m in Quebec , Canada ). I’m assuming not possible to do SLAM without my own kit ? What should I do while I wait ? Thanks so much for the help.

I’m assuming not possible to do SLAM without my own kit ? What should I do while I wait ?
You are correct. Best you could do for now is simply add about 5 ppm of liquid chlorine per day. The PoolMath APP's "Effects of Adding" can help you with the amount. We normally don't like to see more than 4 ppm of FC used-up in a day, so adding 5 ppm per day should keep things from getting much worse. If you can find a simple pH drop test kit locally, continue to keep the pH between 7.2 - 7.8. Those are really the two biggest things to watch for now, FC & pH.

Also, be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. We need to see everything when we answer questions. See my sig as an example.

that would be 1 gallon a day ! Possibly for 2 weeks while I wait , is that right ?? Seems like sooooooo much!
Your profile shows 80,000 (I'm assuming liters) which is about 21,100 gallons. So one gallon of 10% strength chlorine would increase the FC by about 4.5 ppm per day. A pool has to eat everyday, and their primary diet is chlorine. My pool is about 18K gallons and would take 1/2 gallon each day to add 2.5 ppm.

So seems like I’d have to do partial refill of pool by many many gallons of liquid chlorine and not be able to use my pool for a while during SLAM… and then test everyday and constantly add liquid chlorine …
So now I’m wondering since there only remains 2 months left of my pool season and my water is only moderately cloudy in the deep end, is that all worth it if all my levels are balanced ? My CC now is only showing 0.2 on pool store test , PH 7.6 …. I have 50 pucks I already bought… If use those up , will my CYA go up so high that my pool will be unusable without a SLAM over 2 months? I’m wondering if it might be best to use up my pucks. Then next season when I open my pool I’ll be adding new water anyway and I’ll start using liquid chlorine from the start then?
*I added all the info I know about my pool to my signature, is it not visible ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added all the info I know about my pool to my signature, is it not visible ?
Still not showing for some reason. I'll look into it on my end to see if I can see something.

As for the pool during a SLAM Process, you can still use it and swim. The only thing is you can't let the FC go over the assigned SLAM FC level. For example, if your CYA is 40 with a SLAM FC level of 16, you can be in the pool with any FC up to 16, just not over. Now if you wish to exchange some water to lower the CYA, that's fine. Then you won't have to maintain such a high FC level. But I would not use pucks anymore. That's just going to make things worse. Pucks will never provide the amount of free chlorine you need to compensate for an elevated CYA.

Ok just want to make sure I understand a few things correctly :
1) Ideally I want to lower my CYA to 50 maximum ( by draining / replacing water) ?
2) i should stop immediately using pucks and weekly “smart shock” due to increasing CYA ?
3) liquid chlorine and chlorine granules ( without stabilizer) are options to use to maintain FC and keep algae out ?
4) I have liquid algaecide that I was adding weekly , I should stop doing this ??
5) I don’t need any products except chlorine and ph increaser and decreaser?
Thank you !

Basically yes to all your questions. Some clarifications though:
- Best to use liquid chlorine. The granules (bags of shock) have side effects to the water.
- Definitely stop the algaecide. It's a waste right now. Save it for winter closing
- Your main products are liquid chlorine, muriatic acid (to lower ph) and perhaps baking soda (only if the TA gets too low - below 50).

Liquid chlorine and/or regular bleach is your pool's best friend right now. :)

That is cal-hypo. You can use it. It will add calcium to the water which isn't terribly bad at first unless you use so much over time that the CH level gets too high (scale in pool and SWG). You should be okay for now, but liquid chlorine is always best.

Also, your sig still isn't showing, so let's confirm you are going to the correct place:
LEFT MENU > SETTINGS > Under the Setting bar SIGNATURE ? Type what you want and hit save.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.