Cloudy water with good test results

Jun 2, 2013
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I used to have a rather large above ground pool that I really didn't struggle too much with keeping it clear all season. Eventually I had to get rid of it and got an Intex Easy Set 15' round pool last year until I get a new permanent pool and it has been pretty tough to keep clear. Last year I struggled a bit but figured it was mainly due to the fact that you get the filter cartridge which doesn't seem to do a great job keeping the water clean. At the end of the season, I got a sand filter from a friend that seems over powered for this pool size and he says he replaced the sand a year ago so I should be good for a few years.

This year when I setup the pool I filled it up, connected the sand filter (didn't replace the sand since it shouldn't need it) and connected the hoses. There was a crack in the hose between the filter and pump so I replaced that with another hose that is longer (this is normally a short hose and the replacement is about 3 times the length). I see no leaks but wasn't sure if this could cause any issues due to the length. Everything seems tight and sealed properly and I get good pressure on it (about 12 PSI). This leads me to believe that the filter is good. After turning it on and the water filled up, I backwashed for about 2 minutes then put it on rinse for 30 seconds.

After about two days of clear water things became cloudy and have been ever since. I brushed the sides of the pool well as well as the bottom of the pool. I put in algaecide (Clorox Algae Remover Liquid) following the directions and quantity leaving the filter running after. I used a clarifier liquid and then after the alloted time used a vacuum for the bottom of the pool.

Chlorine has been the tablets in the floats and I also have used pool time shock max blue. Overall I have seen the pool chemical levels on the test strips have been good overall. They seem well balanced and I am stumped at what is going on. Today I ordered some liquid chlorine as well as Taylor testing kits to properly test the water levels. Could there be anything else I should look at with my filtration system to see what can be causing it to always be cloudy?

Good morning. Unfortunately, no amount of filtering will solve your issue. The things you have done and products added are not designed to kill algae or sanitize the water. The cloudiness is most likely the onset of algae. We can confirm this with some pics of the water and a full set of water test results from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. You must have one of those kits to perform a SLAM Process as well. Please bookmark and take a look at our Pool Care Basics page which has tons of additional info that can help.

For now, I'd recommend a full set of test results, a pic of the water, a be prepared to do a SLAM Process with liquid chlorine. Also update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. It will help later with additional replies. Let us know if you have any questions.

Reactions: wireform
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.