Cloudy water overnight

Nov 13, 2014
Melbourne, FL
Hello. I woke up to milky, cloudy water this morning. Here are my test results:

FC: 8
CC: >.5
CYA: 30
PH: 7.6-7.8ish? I really need to get another test tube, the colors don't seem to match up anymore; fish aquarium test strips say 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 330-340 (again, the difference between pale purple/pale blue is really hard for me to read...I guess I'm probably getting old since I'm having problems reading the PH and CH lol)

Background: My CH reading was low (150ish). I'm an idiot, I have backwashed a couple of times and while I always remembered to get my CYA back up, but I forgot about checking the CH until recently. I ordered some MELT professional strength (94% pure calcium chloride) that others here mentioned using off eBay and added all 25 lbs with a CH goal of 320. I know that's on the higher end of the recommended window, but I figure between splashout and backwashing and a confounding sloooooow leak no one can seem to find, figured it wasn't a big deal and would keep me from having to continually test and add. Water was clear when I added the calcium yesterday morning and all day. Last night, I circulated 1.5 gallons of pool store chlorine for 30 mins before I went to bed - I know 8ppm is a tad high, but I'm in Fl where it's been brutally hot and sunny and we've been hosting a neighbor kid or two everyday in addition to my own family of 5, so figured it would be used up in no time anyway.

Is the elevated chlorine in my pool causing my calcium to precipitate out of the water and causing the cloudiness? If so, that's very surprising to me since my numbers are otherwise all in range. Is this going to happen every time I add chlorine, because if so, that's going to be a real bummer.

Calcium clouding is not uncommon. It should dissipate in a day or so. You can probably accelerate the process by lowering pH some. Once it's cleared again, you should be fine letting pH get into the upper ranges without it clouding again.

Check out the search box up above for calcium clouding and you'll see you're not alone.

Okay, thank you. I was just surprised by the cloudiness because it had been clear all day (probably some 15 hours) after I initially added it; it only became cloudy sometime in the night after I added the chlorine. I will add some acid to help it along!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.