Cloudy water, no chlorine, what next?

You should likely try to maintain 14 and even go up to 16 at first as it's eating the chlorine so fast. I did use your previous numbers for my guesstimate and it was close. Some people will post everything and some will only post what you ask. I wanted to make sure there wasn't an addition or something that would be important to know.

When you say ... "which said my FC had gone from 0 to 2.5" it's really going from 0 FC up to 12 FC with the six gallons and it's dropped back down to 2.5 FC at the time you tested. That's an important difference. Think of the swimmer as your chlorine level and the shark as the organic junk in the pool. You want to make sure you keep you FC up and ahead of the shark :shark:

The fact you can explain what you are doing shows you do know what you are doing and that's a very good thing. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

How much time passed between adding the chlorine and testing? You need to keep your chlorine level up, especially in the early stages.

"I put 6 gallons of 7.86% bleach in this morning. 3 hours later, I did a FAS-DPD 3 hours later and my FC was 2.5"

Three hours is just way too long to wait at first.

ge2a8uhy.jpg

Making progress, thanks to all the help here.
I only lost 2 ppm of FC overnight (14 to 12), and the water is blue and I can see about 5 feet deep, so it seems I'm getting there. Most of the foam from the surface is gone, but I still have some. Should I do anything with that, or will it eventually dissipate?

Thanks

I'm still testing often, and adding chlorine as needed. I'm also brushing 2-3 times daily and using the Barracuda. The water is back to blue, and crystal clear. I can read the Barracuda labels in the 10' deep water!

Overnight (about 11 hours), my FC dropped from 12 to 7.5. The night before, I only lost 2 ppm (although 14-12), and that night was shorter for me (7 hours). Is this acceptable, or should I do/watch for something different?

I'm taking the FC back to 12 now.

Thanks for all the help. It's nice to see clear, blue water again!

Sam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.