Cloudy water, help needed

Jul 5, 2017
Hartville / Ohio
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum but i have been really blessed with all the information that is available on this site. I thank all of you for your awesome posts. I apologize if i am asking a question that was answered already.

pool readings with Taylor K-2006

FC 7.5ppm
TC 0 ppm
ALK 30ppm
CYA 60ppm ** not sure if totally acurate not great at the testing procedure yet....
Ph 7.2

I had a large algae bloom (at least i think so after reading posts) and my pool was dark green and nasty, similar to when i opened it in May. So i proceeded to shock the pool again. Got the chlorine up to around 20ppm and the pool started to change back to the right color. It was staying light green for a few days with no improvement. I changed the cartridge filter out because the filter in it was full of dead algae. With the new filter in, the pool has gone to a light blue color but is still very cloudy. 4.5 ft deep pool but can only see down about 2 feet and blurry.

Should i take the chlorine up high again? Or is it the cartridge filter again? The new filter has been running 24/7 for 3 days now and so far not clearing up. I have been maintaining the FC at 10ppm for the last 3 days. Drops to 7.5 from am to pm.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP. You say you "shocked" the pool but this should be a process not any one time move to higher FC. Which is why we coined the acronym SLAM.

Shock
Level
And
Maintain
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You need to bring your FC to shock level for your CYA Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

And you need to maintain that high FC until:

Water is CLEAR
CC is .5 or less
Overnight chlorine loss is 1 or less.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, check your FC frequently, I suggest no less than every 4 hours during your normal waking hours. Easier said than done unless you work at home, but the idea of maintain is to keep it there for extended period of time.

How big is your pool and what size filter do you have? If you could take a moment and fill out your signature that would be most helpful for everyone reading so we know what you have on your end.

If you have a small filter then you will need to clean it.. you have to clean it because it is doing its job... it is cleaning the water.

Sounds like you are doing great, keep it up!

We love pics!

Thanks for the tip, unfortunatley it is not possible for me to test every 4 hours. The pool was around 24ppm last night and this morning it was 18.5 ppm. i added more 12.5% chlorine to put me a little over 24ppm for today. Should i still have my solar cover on the pool? and should i be washing my filter daily? i just put a new filter in on monday.

Last edited:
Thanks for the signature. Regarding the cover, someone else may have an idea, I did not cover my pool while I was in SLAM. Regarding the filter, clean it as often as you need to. I assume you have a pressure gauge, rule of thumb is to clean it when pressure raises 20% over clean filter pressure. If you clean your filter and pressure is 10psi then you would clean your filter when pressure reaches 12psi.

Also, if you can, post a picture of the entire pool, that will also help with visual trouble shooting, an overhead shot looking down is best.

Attached you will find a picture of the pool. I just finished testing the FC and it came down from 26ppm to 22.5. I over shot my recommended ppm by 2 because I wasn't going to be able to test it until i got home. I just added 22oz of chlorine to bring it back up to 24ppm. I have rolled the cover up but have not completly removed it. I think the cover being on all day may have helped with chlorine loss due to sunlight but i read on the forums that pools like to breath so i am going to leave it rolled up during the rest of my SLAM. I cleaned my cartridge filter out as well. It was dirty but not really bad.

Funny side not---> i was running out of my titration reagent for the DPD test so i went to the pool store to buy some mor R-0871. When talking with the pool guy he said " oh you should just bring your water sample in to get it tested here..." I said no thanks i test my own water with the Taylor K2006. To which he replied "really!? You go through all that trouble?" I just kinda laughed it off. :D Much rather test my own water thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 96

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I'm pretty sure i know the answer but can you explain the difference between a 120SQft filter and a 150SQft filter.

im still dealing with cloudy water and the filter really isn't all that dirty when i clean it, so i got to looking at the filters themselves and i guess when i bought a replacement I didn't check closely enough on what they handed me. I had a 150 and gave them that part number and they gave me a filter that was a different part number but they said it cross referenced the same. Well i did some looking into it tonight and its a 120SQft filter.... i put the 150 i had in it originally, i was able to clean it up pretty good for the most part so we will see if there is any difference.

Picture is from yesterday, still doesn't look like much of an improvement but still keeping FC @24

Attachments

• IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 79
Hello and welcome to TFP. Newbie here also with a 24' AG pool. Sounds like you've done lots of reading and got a solid grip on your SLAM! When I did the beginning of last year, I also suffered from POP (pool owner patience). But just stay on course and you will not be disappointed and results will come. That was funny what the pool store guy said ... LOL

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you got this SLAM going well, good job!

The reason we recommend that you leave the pool uncovered is so the pool can outgas the CC's created when SLAMming, or the 'let it breathe' as you mentioned.

Keep up with the SLAM as best you can and soon you'll be rewarded with glass clear water!

Thanks for posting, nice to have you with us.

Did a CYA test again this morning because i was wondering if I wasn't getting it to the correct shock level. I tested last week and best guess with the test was 60ppm. Today however it seemed to test around 70ppm. Stepped chlorine up to 28ppm this morning and have been checking it every two hours. Seems to be holding, but my CC had always been .5 of .0 this whole time. Is that correct? I thought CC would rise if there were biologicals in the water?

Did a CYA test again this morning because i was wondering if I wasn't getting it to the correct shock level. I tested last week and best guess with the test was 60ppm. Today however it seemed to test around 70ppm. Stepped chlorine up to 28ppm this morning and have been checking it every two hours. Seems to be holding, but my CC had always been .5 of .0 this whole time. Is that correct? I thought CC would rise if there were biologicals in the water?
CC may be rising but UV rays break it down. Even perfect pools lose some FC to sunlight. Why not CC, too?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.