Apr 24, 2016
Dayton, Ohio
FC 9.5
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 100
CH 300-325
CYA 60ish

I've had cloudy water a couple times last 3 weeks. The first time solar cover had been on for over a week and plenty of small debris had gotten in pool, but this was before it was warm enough to swim and FC was 3 the day I uncovered and water was slightly hazy but not green. I was running pump at least 50% of time and SWG on low setting because FC had been above 5 every time I checked, usually 6-8. I questioned early algae and put in 5 gallons 10% bleach to FC 28 and upped SWG and ran pump 24/7 since then, FC was 14-19 for 5 days and water cleared within 24 hrs of starting. I didn't do a real SLAM obviously:(

FC has been consistently above 7 since then. I added CYA since to target 70, but I still read about 60 testing it today so added another 35 oz CYA to get to 70 before going to 80. I'm still not good at that test.

Anyway, water was slightly hazy yesterday, like I see the bottom drains well at 6 feet deep but not crystal clear like all last year. pH was 7.7 before I added CYA 2 weeks ago and it dissolved within 3-4 days. pH has slowly fallen to 7.2 today despite several days of swimming, splashing, and SWG running 40-60% 24/7. All last year I added acid every couple weeks 1-2 cups at most to keep pH below 7.8 and several times to pH 7.2 to get TA to 70 to help pH rise.

Questions:
Woudl 35 ounces CYA decrease pH from 7.7 to 7.2? And gradually over 2 weeks?
Can very low algae levels cause pH decrease?
I've read calcium can cause haziness depending on pH, but I've had the haziness now at pH 7.6-7.7, then nice and clear and now again at 7.2. Does that rule that out?
My solar cover has one hard season of use, 12 mil blue cover. Any reason that could affect pool after a week sitting there with pump and SWG always running?
We got a heavy rainstorm 5 days ago adding 2 inches on water but minimal debris which I suppose could have affected pH because it was closer to 7.4-5 before storm. Thought? Maybe I'm confounding myself with too many variables.

thanks in advance for any help.

I will take one of those questions, CYA does lower PH. You can go to pool math, add your pool size and go to section of "Effects of adding chemicals". Plug in how much stabilizer you added and it will show how much it will raise CYA and lower PH

I will take one of those questions, CYA does lower PH. You can go to pool math, add your pool size and go to section of "Effects of adding chemicals". Plug in how much stabilizer you added and it will show how much it will raise CYA and lower PH

thanks, forget abut doing that in poolmath. Looks like 35 oz CYA decreases pH roughly 0.2. That doesn't account for pH falling about .5 or so, but maybe rain was acidic. I did check my lights and crevice where the fiberglass meets in the corners, and I think there is a tiny amount of green algae only in a couple inches of one crevice of rectangular pool where ends of fiberglass meet and are caulked. I'll try and get a brush in there, but I don't see any other algae. Any help with other possibilities for pH loss or slightly cloudy water. My CC has been 0 or .5 no matter when I have checked. I guess I could do OCLT but don't k ow what else to do if that is ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.