Cloudy water - after Citric Acid treatment

jamie973

Jun 14, 2019
New Jersey
I had staining in the pool and used Essential Solutions Pool and Spa - stain remover. I have read similar issues where cloudiness occurred right away.

After using the product pool was perfect for

Added product - June 5th - water and everything was perfect on June 7th.

June 11th - pool goes cloudy after a rain storm.

Still cloudy today. I just did a backwash - I haven't shocked it - and have only added minimal amounts of chlorine - based on recommendations.

Maybe I need to wait another day or 2? I've read cloudiness issues sometimes last 3 days?

Attachments

• june11th.jpeg
    june11th.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 23
  • pool_posttreatment1.jpeg
    pool_posttreatment1.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 20
Sounds like metals were included in that snakeoil. Do not shock with pool shock, that will add a massive dose of CYA and raise your chlorine demand, which will cause an algae bloom. I see most stains disappear after I've SLAMmed with straight bleach (one of the only three ingredients you should be adding to your pool), but if you get stubborn stains, like on your steps or plastic ladders, you can rub with a vitamin c tablet.

Did you add an algaecide before adding the citric acid?

Algae doesn't care what you're trying to do. If the chlorine level is down for any reason at all, algae is gonna move in. If your stains have lifted, start bringing up the chlorine level. Hopefully you can head things off before the pool gets really murky and turns green.

I did not add algaecide before the citric acid. So should I will add more chlorine now to bring it back to normal levels. I was told in several places to gradually return chlorine in after a week or so.
I would bring it up in steps of 2 until you've reached the target. But if the pool starts looking worse or goes green, it's no time to be nice -- kill it with lots of chlorine.

CYA is at 30 - I don't have a good tester for that one - pool store just tested it.
We don’t put much stock in pool store tests, so we recommend getting a Taylor K-2006c or TF-100 kit to test your own.

If that is the level then you’re shooting for 12ppm FC per this chart:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I'm doing pretty good with bringing my levels back to normal - cloudiness is better. But I feel like the staining will be returning. Should I start a new thread for this?
Here's where the stains were prior to the treatment. The mostly start where the water comes in. Last test did not detect any metals. I had a little debris in the pump basket prior to removing the stains which I thought may have been the cause.
Other photos show where I tend to see the staining the most.

Attachments

• IMG_3727.jpg
    IMG_3727.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3728.jpg
    IMG_3728.jpg
    794.7 KB · Views: 13
  • poolsstaining.jpg
    poolsstaining.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.