Broken Arrow, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi guys! Thanks for all the extremely helpful information over the past 2 years that we’ve owned our pool. So, our sand filter developed a leak which got repaired today. When I came home from work, I went outside to net out the pool and noticed it was cloudy. Not extremely cloudy, just slightly cloudy/hazy. Normally I keep our pool so balanced and clear that you can see straight down to the drains in the deep end and can even see the Phillips markings on the screws on said drains! Ha ha! Anyway, I was concerned so I did a quick chemistry check. Our pH was 7.4 (I just added a quart of muriatic last night for a pH of 7.9-8). Total chlorine level was 5.5, combined chlorine was 0, and total alkalinity was 50. When my pH drifts up some, the TA usually hangs around 60. We also don’t mind keeping our pool a little on the acidic side, anyway, because our calcium hardness is 650 and has been as high as 700. All that being said, I called my pool builder’s service guys that came out and told them my dilemma. He told me there’s no way my cloudiness is due to them changing out 1/2 of the sand (when they repaired the filter leak today) because they rinse the sand beforehand. He told me I needed to shock my pool. I don’t think that’s the answer, though, because my levels look normal and any other day other than today, my pool has been crystal clear! I run my pump 24/7. During the winter I just keep it at 2000 rpm. During the summer I run it at 2500 rpm. I realize there are many different schools of thought on how long to run a pool pump, but our pool builder recommended us to run it 24/7 and that’s what we’re comfortable with. My only obvious solution I could think of today was to turn my pump up to 2500 rpm. Any other suggestions as to what could cause my pool haziness and perhaps how to fix it? Thanks in advance!!

Algae seems unlikely to me as well based on your current levels, however you can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test just to be sure. I'd be curious what type and brand of sand they used.
Thank you!!! I’m hoping it’s just some sort of weird fluke that’ll resolve in the next day or 2. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I would guess it has to do with the sand. If the only thing done to the pool today was changing some sand, and it was perfectly clear beforehand, the only suspect is the sand. Of course they will say it has nothing to do with the sand, because that may require more work from them if it was.

I would test daily for the next few days and watch your levels, and run your filter as much as you can. We are getting colder temps so freeze protection will be kicking on which will keep the filtration going.

--Jeff

Reactions: Wake9909
I would guess it has to do with the sand. If the only thing done to the pool today was changing some sand, and it was perfectly clear beforehand, the only suspect is the sand. Of course they will say it has nothing to do with the sand, because that may require more work from them if it was.

I would test daily for the next few days and watch your levels, and run your filter as much as you can. We are getting colder temps so freeze protection will be kicking on which will keep the filtration going.

--Jeff
I run the pump 24/7 anyway, so that’s covered. I’ll definitely keep a close eye on chemistry over the next few days.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
You can add a smidgeon of pool DE and see if that helps?

Maddie :flower:
If it doesn’t clear up on its own in the next couple of days, I could try that next. Thanks!

Hi guys! Thanks for all the extremely helpful information over the past 2 years that we’ve owned our pool. So, our sand filter developed a leak which got repaired today. When I came home from work, I went outside to net out the pool and noticed it was cloudy. Not extremely cloudy, just slightly cloudy/hazy. Normally I keep our pool so balanced and clear that you can see straight down to the drains in the deep end and can even see the Phillips markings on the screws on said drains! Ha ha! Anyway, I was concerned so I did a quick chemistry check. Our pH was 7.4 (I just added a quart of muriatic last night for a pH of 7.9-8). Total chlorine level was 5.5, combined chlorine was 0, and total alkalinity was 50. When my pH drifts up some, the TA usually hangs around 60. We also don’t mind keeping our pool a little on the acidic side, anyway, because our calcium hardness is 650 and has been as high as 700. All that being said, I called my pool builder’s service guys that came out and told them my dilemma. He told me there’s no way my cloudiness is due to them changing out 1/2 of the sand (when they repaired the filter leak today) because they rinse the sand beforehand. He told me I needed to shock my pool. I don’t think that’s the answer, though, because my levels look normal and any other day other than today, my pool has been crystal clear! I run my pump 24/7. During the winter I just keep it at 2000 rpm. During the summer I run it at 2500 rpm. I realize there are many different schools of thought on how long to run a pool pump, but our pool builder recommended us to run it 24/7 and that’s what we’re comfortable with. My only obvious solution I could think of today was to turn my pump up to 2500 rpm. Any other suggestions as to what could cause my pool haziness and perhaps how to fix it? Thanks in advance!!
Well, it appears the issue has resolved on its own. 🙌🏻 Whew!! Made me nervous! A few days later, it’s as clear as it always was. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: Turbo1Ton

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.