ORussell

Jun 12, 2021
Northeast Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello- newish pool owner here. Quick background: We have my parent's 20ish year old above ground vinyl pool with all their oldish equipment. No problems last year (our first year) but this year decided to switch to the TFP method so I could be in better control of everything. Decided to make the switch after we returned from vacation but of course in all the vacation prep I forgot to keep a close eye on the Frog system I had and didn't realize the chlorine tabs were almost gone so day before vacation wake up to green pool. Got 5 gallons of 6% bleach and dumped it in and crossed my fingers.

Came home a week later and pool was cloudy blue. Started slam this Tuesday after I received my TF-100 kit. Everything is going alright I think. Keeping FC at 16 as much as possible, checking every 2-3 hours, brushing, skimming and vacuuming. Did OCLT last night and it was 1ppm (FC 17.5 last night and 16.5 this morning) and CC is .5. Water is still cloudy blue and slightly improved but not by much since we got home. I can see the bottom of my ladder but definitely not going to pass the quarter test. I'm wondering if my sand filter is too small? Only 100 lbs of sand and reading up I think it should be more? I was running pump on low during slam but yesterday in the day I switched it to hi to see if it helped. So running on high during the day and low at night. I'm going to get some DE tomorrow and try adding that. Also we have had a lot of rain here this week - over 3 inches I think. I had to drain some water yesterday - it was flowing out of the top of the skimmer. Would that have anything to do with the cloudiness?

Here are the test results before I started the slam:
FC 3.0
CC .5
pH 7.3
TA 130
CH 325
CYA 40

Any other thoughts? Trying to be patient! Thanks so much for any help!

Welcome to TFP :)

Pool Patience is a thing... Sand filters are the easiest and the slowest at clearing a green pool.. you are on it to add DE when you can watch the filter, it will go up 25% fast as it pulls more junk out.. Just keep doing what your doing and it will get there..

Running it on high when you can watch it and low at night is the way to go :)

it is small and we LOVE big huge filters here..

If it were my pool and I was going to stay with a sand filter I would get a Pentair TR100 (600 pounds of sand) and only have to backwash once a month maybe...

I went with a Pentair clean and clear plus 320 cartridge filter and only clean it once a year and I really like it.. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.