Cloudy blue pool

Jasonlion, I ordered my test kit from Trouble Free Test Kits Yesterday. I can't wait for it to arrive. Leslie pool said my CYA is 30. Can the pucks help with holding my cl level (I know it will also increase the cya)? The pool is still blue with cloudy water - can't see the bottom of pool.

poolhelp,
Concerning your pool capacity, it is impossible to accurately calculate it without know all the relevant dimensions/configuration for the deep end. I come up with an estimated capacity of 31,416 gallons. I think pool builders/suppliers intentionally over-estimate pool capacity to make you think you're getting more pool than you really are. The supplier of our pool told us it was 8,600 gallons. In reality it's 7,600.

Pucks will help hold your chlorine level, but they won't disolve quickly enough to make a significant difference. Right now it is all about large quantities of chlorine to oxidize the organics and kill off anything that is growing in the pool. CYA of 30 is a great place to be unless you are in a very sunny location. If you are getting 10+ hours of direct sunlight it might be nice to go a bit higher.

Once the chlorine level holds overnight it will probably still be several days for the filter to clean up the water. At that point pucks have a convience factor (which you need to balance against their added CYA and lowering PH). In the mean time if there is anything left that can be dredged out of the water with a rake or vacuum that will help speed up the process.

Thanks Poseidon, I'm relieved now knowing I'm putting enought chlorine.
DaveNJ,
I'm in Howell, Monmouth County.
Jasonlion,
I'm getting a lot of sun. Should I put the puck in a sock for now. I also have a cheap puck floater that i purchased from Drug Fair.

It can take several days for a pool to clear once you have set the valve to "filter" - along with getting the chemistry in line. What was the pressure reading when you went from recirculate/recycle to filter? Make sure to backwash when the pressure gets close to that base reading plus 10psi.

When I had a sand filter, the instructions for backwashing also said to run it through a rinse cycle. I will defer to the experts here with sand on whether to include rinse (especially at a startup with a cloudy pool) and how often to change the medium.

If your main valve has a rinse setting you should use it. Not all of them have rinse.

There are two schools of thought on replacing sand. Several people feel that the sand should be replaced every five years while another large group feels that sand can last nearly forever. Sand does lose some of it's fine particle filtering ability over time but this can be compensated for by adding a little DE to the filter after each backwash.

Finally, I was able to hold a fc level of 14 overnight. But now my pressure reading just sits at 0, doesn't move at all regardless how long the filter is running. This happened after I backwashed alot of junk out Yesterday. My retun line is getting very little suction coming out. I checked the skimmer basket while the filter is running on filter and no suction is coming out of it. I think something must of gotten stuck in the lines while vacumming Yesterday. My pool is no longer clody, I can now see the bottom of the pool in some places, but now I have this major set back since I had to turn off the filter. Where should I start to unclog what ever got in?

poolhelp said:
Finally, I was able to hold a fc level of 14 overnight. But now my pressure reading just sits at 0, doesn't move at all regardless how long the filter is running. This happened after I backwashed alot of junk out Yesterday. My retun line is getting very little suction coming out. I checked the skimmer basket while the filter is running on filter and no suction is coming out of it. I think something must of gotten stuck in the lines while vacumming Yesterday. My pool is no longer clody, I can now see the bottom of the pool in some places, but now I have this major set back since I had to turn off the filter. Where should I start to unclog what ever got in?

Poolhelp,

You're making two posts about the same subject in different areas of the forum. Confusing to us and probably to you, too. Stick with one thread so we can figure out what you're doing and get you some help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.