Cloudy blue pool water

Ummm so at this point what should I do? I hate to drain it but I don't wanna be constantly fighting things either. If I should drain. How much? And how exactly does one do that anyway? My water level will only go down so far... I am just wondering what the easiest and fastest solution is! I am so glad I found u all. At this rate the pool store would have just made more of a mess of my pool!!!!

At a cya level of 70 you can maintain your pool. Just don't add any more pucks or powdered shock. As you have rainwater added to the pool, as you refill the pool from the kids doing cannonballs, and as the summer sun causes you to top off the pool your cya level will fall down slowly. Day to day use you should still only lose 2parts chlorine once your pool is clean, but you'll need ALOT more chlorine during shocking.

At this point I'd say keep shocking at your 70cya reading. Once your kit arrives test as often as you can. Keep the FC level up around 20. Until then....how far away is the pool store?

Pool stores are famous for messing up pools.....we like to keep our water clean and

TROUBLE FREE

Ya.....cheap advertising works well. :)

You didn't mess it up. Looks like you raised you FC from 5 to 27 ish. That's good for your CYA level.

So now the Chlorine will be busy working away to oxidize the stuff in the water. In the morning try to approximate your FC level if you can - that will give you a ballpark to know how much more chlorine to add to boost it back up to 27ppm.

The trick is to keep the FC level up at shock until everything in the water is gone - and then you go back to running the pool at the normal levels.

Keep the pump running 24/7, keep the pool at shock level, brush everyday. The more diligent you are with the chlorine level, the quicker it should clear.

Thanks so much for all your help!!! With any luck the kit will get here soon and until then I will make do:). One last question for the night...with all this shocking and such can my kids still swim or do I need to keep them out of it temporarily?
Thanks again!!!
Amy

Good morning! Ok so I came home from work and tested again. My chlorine looks to be darker than the 5 on my Wally world test kit. My ph is 7.8 now. So what should I do? The pool is still very very cloudy:(

Ok. So I thought I would run my other tests just to see and I know that these test kits are way inaccurate but my alkalinity is testing way way high. So high that I have put in 63 drops (supposed to multiply that by ten) and I still don't have a red sample:(. Could this be my issue?I have run the test twice now with no red whatsoever:(

I'd put money says' the TA test was off as well. I wouldn't worry about it for now. I don't see any way that your TA would go from 100ish from the pool store, to over 600 now. Don't worry about it. The PH testing at 7.8 isn't a shock either....as that almost ALWAYS reads high during shocking. Ignore those two tests for now.....they won't read correct at high shock levels. Odd's on favor say that they weren't affecting the water color anyways.

The reading of "darker than the 5 on my Wally world test kit" isn't a shock either. This is the problem with this test, and will be solved once you get your TF-100. At best, the Wal-Mart kit can only read an FC level of 10 (with 50% pool water and 50% bottled water) after that it's worthless. I myself would wait until later tonight, and re-test with a 50-50 mixture to see if you come up with a reading. If not....just let it go another day. You've still got high FC readings.....and the chlorine is still killing stuff. Just watch your filter reading, and back-flush anytime it's needed.

On a long shot...but one that COULD cause cloudy water is your Calcium levels. This isn't affected either by the shock process. Can you post a test reading of your calcium level? Could you also post a photo of your water? Nothing helps us understand "cloudy water" better than a good old photo. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok good:)
I tried to test my calcium with that silly kit but when I put the drops in it didnt turn the correct color at all. and then when I added the other drops it only would turn yellow never anything else:(
My hardness from the pool store test says 118 Does this help?

I am attaching a picture of my very sad cloudy pool :(

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Attachments

• cloudypool.JPG
    cloudypool.JPG
    329.3 KB · Views: 359
If the store is close then, the calcium isn't the problem. With a pool store reading of 1.4cc's I'd stay with algae being your issue. Test again tonight with 50-50 mixture to see if you can get a reading.

Where are you located? The kit shipps very quick and it should be there any day. Until then use your kit to stay as close to 25 as you can. If the reading is still darker than 5 then dump in one bottle bleach at night and let it be.

Thanks Allison! It's much much better than the nasty green/brown it was:). I will keep updating with pictures as it progresses:)

Leebo, I am located in ft Wayne Indiana. So hopefully it comes super fast! I will test again tonight and let u all know:). One More question before bed I was pouring over the website last night at work and realized that I should have been turning my pump off when switching filter settings! I had no idea and all last summer I did it incorrectly:(. Could that be causing some of my issues? It seems to still work fine. Changes settings and all. But I thought I would throw that out there...
Thanks again!!

Reactions: specialbrew1999
Post a complete set of details on you equipment - what kind of filter etc, what kind of multiway, etc. A picture could help.

If you have a sand filter adding a scoop of DE to the skimmer may help the filter. Since you are on a timeline no reason not to try it all.

Ok. I tested my chlorine. It looks to be right at the 5 with the 2/3 tap water and 1/3 pool water...now what???

As far as my equipment goes... I have a 1.5 up Hayward pumP power flow matrix. With a vari flow hayard filter with a multi valve. I have rinse filter waste winter closed backwash and recirculate on it. I can upload a pix shortly. Can't figure how to do from phone;). I also have 2 sungrabber solar panels that I don't have hooked up yet cuz the pool guy said I would destroy my pump???? Figure my pool needs all the fitratuon it can get right now anyway. I have an older model barracuda auto vac (it's purple and yellow) that I don't know the specs on as I bought off of craigs list.

As far as de goes. Where do I get that? I have something called fiber clear. (pure cellulose filter powder) and I put a handful in the skimmer last week. Is this the same thing or similar? I also have filter socks but they get filthy so quick. Can I wash those or do I need to buy more of them?

So I brushed the pool again and am gonna turn the auto vac on for a few hours. But didn't know what to do chemical wise. My test kit is not here yet:(

1) Chlorine - so if you read 5ppm with 1/3 pool water, figure you are at 15ppm (5 X3). This is not accurate - but you can use that as an approximate to bring the pool back up to shock level - which is where you want to keep it till it clears. So add enough chlorine to get back to 30ppm.

2) Fibre Clear is a DE substitute -so will work fine. Adding a small handful after every time you backwash the filter should help the filter catch the smaller particles. How often are you backwashing?

3) Solar Panels - one step at a time :)

If you have a reading of about 15ppm of chlorine, then our bet of algae is correct. There's no way you should have lost that much chlorine over the coarse of the day. Add another 1.5 gallons of bleach and let is sit again overnight. Is the water clearing up at all?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.